"Verifying Backup Archive" more than once

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bcaceres, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcaceres

bcaceres Registered Member

I am using Acronis True Image 9.0 Build 2337.

I have scheduled a weekly full backup to run on Monday morning at midnight.
    I have also scheduled a daily incremental backup to run on every morning
    except Monday at midnight.

I am using the Acronis Secure Zone to store my backups.

All of my backups are configured to "Check created backup archive file when its creation complete".

I assumed this setting would trigger the log entries that read:
    Pending operation 3 started: "Veirfying backup archive"

However, what I do not understand is why the backup is being verified
    more than once. Sometimes it is verified as many as FIVE TIMES, and each
    verification takes 3 TO 4 HOURS.

The whole point of scheduling these to run at midnight is to have my computer usable in the morning. However, my backups often run late into
    the afternoon when Acronis decides it needs to verify the backup 5 times.

Please tell this is a bug that Acronis will fix, or tell me that there is a
    workaround to prevent this from happening.

I want my backups verified because I don't want to be caught with my
    pants down when my hard drive one day crashes only to discover that
    the backup image is no good.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Perhaps it is a bug in that build. Upgrade to the latest build and see if the problem is still there. (build 3567).

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It is an unfortunate fact that when one selects to verify an image that has been created for the secure zone it is not just that new image that is verified but all the images in the zone are re-verified at the same time. The same difficulty arises if one were to try to verify one previous image because ALL the images are selected for verification.
    I have raised this matter in previous posts in this forum and have never had a reply from Acronis. I have also put it forward in the Wish List back in January this year in the hope that it would be fixed it the latest build. Nothing has happened so far.
    I had begun to think that I was the only one who actually used the secure zone to its full potential and being in a minority I was being ignored.

Xpilot

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bcaceres,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Firstly, please note that, as Xpilot has already pointed out, Acronis True Image 9.0 Home always verifies all backups located in Acronis Secure Zone. This is because backups located in Acronis Secure Zone are not technically files. I'm afraid that there is no way to make Acronis True Image verify some particular backup only. If you want to be able to verify only the image that has just been created then we recommend that you save images to any location other than Acronis Secure Zone.

Please also note that when Acronis True Image verifies an incremental image it verifies the whole chain consisting of the initial full and all previously created incrementals.

If you still believe that Acronis True Image 9.0 Home does some unnecessary verifications then, first of all, please download and install the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall build 2337 by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3567.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please check each partition of your hard drive by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive.

Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Please also download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists after checking the hard drive and updating the drivers then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon.

Please also do the following:

- Download schedmgr.exe application;

- Open the command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd);

- Run the following command in the folder the schedmgr.exe file was saved to:

schedmgr get report > schedreport.txt

- Collect schedreport.txt.

Please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. Acronis Support

Hello Xpilot,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We are very sorry it seems that you have been ignored, because in fact we never ignore any requests posted in the Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread. We consider them all.

Moreover, the suggestion to implement the ability to check backups located in Acronis Secure Zone separately has already been forwarded to our Development Team. This feature will probably be implemented in the future Acronis True Image builds\versions.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. VolBum

VolBum Registered Member

I just noticed this long verification process this morning. The scheduled incremental backup had started at 3am and when I got on the computer 4 hrs later, the verification was in progress with another 2 hrs to go. I decided to cancel the process. Question is... if a verification process is canceled, will the backups be intact?

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Thank you for your reply,
    I am very disappointed that no progress seems to have been made to resolve the multiple verification process that occurs with Secure Zone images.
    Can your answer this question please. What happens if the verification process comes up with an error? As according to a previous post of yours the images are not technically separate files, what then happens to the ten images I have in the zone? Are they all marked as corrupt even though nine of them have previously passed the verification?
    If that is what happens it is a very unsatisfactory state of affairs if one glitch can wipe out several generations of supposedly secure backups. If my surmise is correct this is far more serious than the annoyance of unnecessary long verification times.

Xpilot

8. Acronis Support

Hello VolBum,

We are sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that during the verification process the backup is only being read. It is not being modified and therefore can not be damaged in any way, even if the verification process is cancelled while being in the middle of something.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

9. Acronis Support

Hello Xpilot,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

If one of the backups located in Acronis Secure Zone is corrupted and you do a verification then you receive a error message indicating that the backup is corrupted without the specification on which of them is actually corrupted. However, none of the backups are "marked" as corrupted in this case. All non-corrupted backups can still be restored as usual. The only problem arising is that it is quite difficult to find out which backup is in fact corrupted. We therefore recommend that you always validate backups in Acronis Secure Zone when the new backup is created, i.e. keep the "Validate backup archive upon it's creation completion" option checked. If a verification process results in the error message stating that the backup is corrupted then most likely the latest backup, i.e. the one that has just been created, got corrupted for some reason. We are very sorry if such behavior causes too much inconvenience for you. As I have already pointed out in my post #5, the suggestion to implement the ability to check backups located in Acronis Secure Zone separately has already been forwarded to our Development Team and will certainly be considered.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

10. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hello Alexey Popov.
    Thank you for your explanation of what takes place with secure zone verifications. I will wait with some impatience for the multiple verification anomaly to be solved.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.