Ver. 4 is pretty slow

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by spliffmaster, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spliffmaster

spliffmaster Registered Member

Ok, first I'm using XP SP3, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.666 and 2 GB RAM.

So, I've used v3 and didn't realize any slowing down or difference in speed whether I turned it on or off. Also I didn't have to set up anything as it just worked fine from the start.
    Now I've upgraded to v4 and I noticed some Websites loading not as fast as they used to and also my system seems to run slightly slower. So I thought about turning off advanced heuristics for web access protection. Will this help websites loading a little faster?

Also the first on-demand scan took a full of 10 hours. Is this normal?
    Number of scanned objects: 1300248
    Total scanning time: 35824 sec (09:57:04)

Also a similar problem has already been discussed here, though it's not as extreme for me:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=253310

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There should be no differences in speed between v3 and v4 as both use the very same modules. What option in the ThreatSense setup needs to be disabled for the problem to disappear?

3. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

Same as with Vista+SP2.

I do not think ESET will ever fix issues of the Web+HTTP Scanner slowing down WWW.

The issue was brushed aside due to the Firewall issues now finally fixed.

Solution to get Web fast again is disable them 2 settings (think 1 disables the other anyhow)

4. Marcos

If you try the same on Windows XP, the slowdown doesn't occur at all?

5. Temp Member

No clue I do not use a 9 year old OS.

The issue was well known to be Vista+SP2 related caused by V4's Web/HTTP Scanning, you can Google it and find many many results.

It makes surfing the web a nightmare, and I cannot believe some here seem to have forgot about it.

It was all that was talked about before the Firewall issues stole the limelight (I never had firewall issues until the builds were messed with to try fix it, but now its fixed anyhow so is the random issue of the ESS Icon not appearing in Notification Area).

I still do not believe they can fix this last major issue.

6. Marcos

First of all, we need to confirm that the issue is actually related specifically to Vista SP2 and that it's not advanced heuristics that scans files after download and may cause delays.

7. Temp Member

Has nothing to do with downloads.

PC is slow to surf/load/open 99% of websites on V4 with HTTP/Web scanning checked.

No downloading of any files/archives is in the picture at this stage.

It does not affect download speeds.

Again m8 this issue was all over this very website before the Firewall issues so why all of a sudden is it not known about ?

V3 is fine, V4 without them 2 settings checked is fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.