Veeam endpoint backup free

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ReverseGear, Jun 27, 2015.

1. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I created ISO with recommended network settings & hardware drivers.
    You added additional network & storage drivers?

If the initializing procedure is attempting to discover drivers, & you have added additional drivers, drivers discovery could be the reason i.e many drivers, more time.

Here drivers list i.e load drivers option in recovery media show 6-7 drivers.

2. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

I created the RE same as you. This is very strange; obviously VAW is VERY BUSY doing something as my RE initializes that isn't happening with your RE?!?! :confused:

3. khanyash

Do you have secure boot, & enabled?

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Just took another shot at this. I wasn't able to take an image, but built the Recovery Environment. It was painfully slow to initialize. The image problem was really dumb. It allowed me to select another internal drive, but when it went to run it told me that was recommended and wouldn't run. Duh

Funny part about it was the Macrium restore to get rid of it only took a minute 55 seconds.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  5. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

This is as stupid as AOMEI Backupper. If the actual boot partition was not selected by default, what the heck does that constitute an system backup?

6. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

I'm using BIOS firmware, not UEFI.

7. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Macrium Reflect rocks! :thumb:

8. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I was wrong. The ESP (boot partition) appeared in the volume list, but without its label, and was included in the backup.

9. Peter2150

Has anyone here using Veeam done a backup to internal drives?

10. khanyash

Mine too is BIOS

11. khanyash

I have partition C (system) & partition D (data)
    I backup C only & backup is on D

12. Peter2150

Okay, that is interesting, but what happens to you if the drive physically dies

13. khanyash

Yes, you have to select the option "show all" to see all the partition, etc.
    If you select C (system), required or boot partition is automatically selected.

14. khanyash

I keep data backup on external drive. And I do data backup everytime anything is added or removed. I do mirror backup with FreeFileSync.
    I do system backup for convenience. If anything goes wrong, I am fine to do a clean install.
    If drive dies, I will not lose anything important, & external backup is there too.

15. cloggy49

cloggy49 Registered Member

Yes, I do, to a 2nd internal HD..
    I'm using this program for almost 2 years now (starting with VEB) and have done many backups and restores, even to brand new hard disks, and it never let me down.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  16. cloggy49

cloggy49 Registered Member

Some more information. Since the latest wave of ransomware, I changed VAW to backup to my Synology server and Resilio Sync will take care that the backup files also end up on my 2nd internal HD. I use RansomOff to protect this folder on my 2nd internal HD.
    Furthermore, my Synology server is not visible in my Windows environment...in the unlikely event of a ransomware attack, I hope it will not be discovered..

17. Peter2150

Well I hate to give up on a challenge so I gave it another shot. Got it to work, and figured out why it hadn't worked before. Some other imaging programs define a disk as just the partition(s) and the system as everything to make a bootable image. Veeam defines the system as all internal drives, so I was trying to save all 3 disks to one of the internal disks. No wonder failure. I selected the Volume mode and it worked. Full image took about the standard time. Incrementals are fast, faster then IFW, slower then Macrium.

Boot to the recovery environment was slow, but restore was fast. Not as fast as Macrium or IFW, but faster then AOMEI or DS. Biggest annoyance was having to turn of injecting drivers after restore.

Bottom line I like what I am seeing.

18. d_r

d_r Registered Member

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I wanted to thank the people here for saving my ***. Last year when Crashplan made their announcement I went looking for a replacement, stumbled across this thread and decided to give Veeam a shot. I installed it (to backup to a NAS) and never paid it much attention since. Two days ago through my own stupidity I messed up my system while cleaning out some old drivers and (I thought) unnecessary files, and I was able to use a bare metal restore from Veeam to recover as if nothing had happened.

Like others on this thread I found the initialization of the recovery environment surprisingly slow, but the time wasn't as much of an issue as was simply the worry that it might not be working correctly.

Of course, I have redundant backups in place for critical data, and every so often I do a full disk image (using Paragon), but I like having something running in the background that I can basically ignore.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.