Veeam endpoint backup free

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ReverseGear, Jun 27, 2015.

1. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Thanks for the heads-up!
    Unfortunately, the recovery media still does not have the capacity to do disk imaging offline. Otherwise I'd love to try it out, as it appears the reliability of this product is quite good.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Curiosity made me look. Just to complex a monster, that I don't need.

3. cloggy49

cloggy49 Registered Member

Quite a number of Veeam Endpoint Backup/Veeam Agent for Windows users have asked for this functionality and hopefully it will be added to the recovery medium in the near future. To be honest, I was surprised to discover that this backup function was missing....and it is supposed to be an Enterprise product...huh...??
    This is also the reason for me that I stopped using it. Once that functionality is added to the recovery environment, I'll give it another try.

4. 1qay1qay

1qay1qay Registered Member

I didnt see if anyone mention this but biggest point is that Veem makes block level backup - so if your 5 GB Outlook PST file will get new mail in seq. backup only block with this mail will be backuped and not entire 5 GB file. As i know, this is only free software that offers block level backup. And beside that is only one that i know that is allowed for commercial use ( Aomei is also free for commerial use but does not offer block level backu.)

5. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

Tried Veeam Free on a brand new Win 10 install, it failed to install, similar outcome to a number of others recorded in forums.

If a product cannot install on Windows 10 then forget it!

Terry

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I install it on Windows 10 without any problem...

7. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Ive used it on everything from Windows 7 (x86 and x64, all versions) up to Server 2016 and Windows 10 without issues. Create a support ticket with them or on their forums. They have top tier support.

8. TerryWood

Hi

When I wrote my commentary, I had already seen a number of people who had the same problem as me, as vested in their forums. Clearly the other posters in this thread are not affected.

My point is, that if I want to try a new piece of software, it should at least be able to install. My PC is not normally problematic in terms of installing new software. So I decided at this stage not to bother. The top dogs (Aomei, Macrium and a couple of others) install OK so I can do without prima donna imaging software.

Terry

9. whitedragon551

Terry, with all do respect none of the software you mentioned hold a candle to anything Veeam makes. There is a reason its the number 1 enterprise backup software for multi million and multi billion dollar companies across the globe.

As with any software, Im sure all of your software works perfectly every time and never has a bug.

10. TerryWood

Hi All software have their gremlins from time to time. Installing as I said is first base for me. If I can,t pass first base then....... If Veem is as good as u say why does it not have stronger following on Wilders. Members here are a pretty clued up bunch? Terry

11. whitedragon551

Wilders users typically find a few pieces of software they like and stick to them. Theres nothing wrong with that. Sometimes what works just sticks. In this particular case Veeam was primarily built as an enterprise data center backup solution for virtualized applications. Their free version for physical machines and home users was released about a year or 2 ago.

As seen here they are a top player:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article...are-report-commvault-and-veeam-are-standouts/
    https://www.gartner.com/doc/3337721?ref=SiteSearch&sthkw=dave russell&fnl=search&srcId=1-3478922254

Notice how none of the other highly touted applications from Wilders are mentioned other than Veeam, which is expected as Gartners Magic Quadrants are pretty much industry standard for anyone in IT.

12. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Yes.

Veeam looks good. I haven´t used it, but I like the interfaces, documentation and the general "professional" approach, although I also prefer to create the images from a boot medium.

13. Peter2150

Sorry, but I am skeptical, when talking Enterprise and not listing Shadowprotect, then I wonder how Gartner works and if Storagecraft maybe doesn't want to pay to be included in tests. I don't know, but anything that leaves Storagecraft out is suspect in my mind.

I've looked at the feature set, and I just don't see any advantage over Macrium Reflect, or IFW. Am I missing something.

14. peterk62

peterk62 Registered Member

Does anybody know how much processing power is needed when the "forever incremental" scheme is used, particularly if the backups are stored on a lower-end NAS (ARM dual core with 1 GB RAM)?

15. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

Today, I installed the free edition of Veeam Agent for Win (v2), created the recovery media, and made my first backup. Here are my initial impressions:

- Installation on Win7 SP1 x64 went well, without any hiccups.
    - Recovery media was created without issues. As previously noted, it appears to be limited to restoring a backup (i.e., no cold backups).
    - My first backup (naturally a full backup) ran to completion twice as fast as comparable full backups with DS, IFW, or MR (no significant difference in image-file compressions)!
    - The free version does not appear to offer either incremental or differential backups (has anyone discovered 'backup changes only'?).
    - I haven't yet attempted a restore (planning to do this over the weekend).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  16. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Agree with this. I have tried the free version of Veeam but did not care for it. I am sticking with Macrium Reflect.

17. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Yeah I wouldn't bother with it until they implement cold backup function in their boot media.

18. Peter2150

Or worse than that incrementals and differentials.

19. Robin A.

It can do incrementals. See the manual, p. 24, Backup Chain (I haven´t used it).

20. Scott W

A few days after making an initial (standalone) full backup I directed VAW to make another backup and it automatically created an incremental image (in under 2 minutes). I then booted my VAW Recovery UFD and successfully restored the incremental. As with my VAW backups the restore was performed very fast (speed comparable to my MR6 restores). :thumb:

On the negative side, my VAW recovery media (a USB3 flash drive) took way too long to boot-up. After WinRE loads it goes through an "initializing" stage for well over a minute! Also (as mentioned previously) the recovery media does not provide an option for creating a cold backup. So imho, the recovery media could stand improvement.

Still, overall I'm quite impressed with VAW - it does its intended task reliably and as fast or faster than any other image-backup program that I have used.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  21. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

By default, its incremental i.e initial full backup then incremental backup.
    When you configure backup i.e config backup wizard, there is advanced option for compression, encryption, etc.
    Default is daily backup with other options.
    There is retention option, default set to "14", you can edit it.
    Check the user guide to know more or better, its good.
    https://www.veeam.com/veeam_agent_windows_2_0_user_guide_en_pg.pdf

Veeam is solid & reliable backup.

As Scott W said "I'm quite impressed with VAW - it does its intended task reliably and as fast or faster than any other image-backup program that I have used.":thumb:

22. Scott W

@Ya5h Kh4n, I choose to do 'standalone' (on-demand) backups rather than scheduled backups because the destination (target) volume is a USB hard drive which is connected to my laptop only when I decide to do a backup/restore. So far I am very impressed VAW's features, reliability and speed. My only complaint is that the recovery media takes too long to "initialize" while loading. So much so that the first time I used it I almost aborted the boot process thinking my laptop had frozen! Others may fault the recovery media for not providing a Cold backup function but I prefer doing Hot backups.

23. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Scott W, Just tested recovery media (USB 2), & initialized under 10 secs here.

Win 10 Pro with latest updates, & 6 GB RAM.
    Created ISO, & recovery media with Rufus portable latest.

24. Scott W

/
    Then something is very wrong with my recovery media build. Initializing takes over 90 sec on my laptop (Win7 x64, i7 CPU, 8GB RAM, and a SATA3 SSD)!!!

@Ya5h Kh4n, would you know if the initializing procedure is attempting to discover drivers?

PS. I also created my VAW Recovery UFD with Rufus.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  25. Robin A.

I did a test, Windows 10 Pro 1703. GPT disk, UEFI native boot mode, Secure Boot enabled.

The installation and creation of the WinRE boot ISO were somewhat slow. When creating the ISO, it took 2 min to add the wireless networking files, but this computer is a desktop without internal wireless capability.

The time to create the backup in an external USB 3.0 disk was similar to that of TB IFW (8:05 min), also the size of the image (23.2 GB). The results I normally get with this particular external disk are usually in the slow side.

To create the boot UFD. I formated the UFD with FAT 32, mounted the ISO and copied its contents to the UFD. It booted without problems. The boot time was somewhat longer than that of TB, but acceptable.

Subjectively, the interfaces are very nice. Simple, elegant and informative, including the Windows 10-style boot medium interface. Veeam gives the impression of being a reliable "pro" software, as was expected by just browsing the manual.

Edit -- Initially I thought that the ESP partition had not been included in the system backup. It was, but its label was not shown in the volume list.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.