vBulletin V phpBB

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by davef, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davef

davef Registered Member

On a site I currently help run we are using phpBB. We have been looking at changing to vBulletin. (as used here). Is there any advantage (security wise) as our forum has been hacked a couple of times and was wondering whether vBulletin was any better? I've looked through the respective forums but both seem to be one sided. (no suprise really). So I thought I would asked the learned ones here. Thanks

Dave

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

See these comparisons as of today:
    vBulletin 3.x vulnerabilities: 0 of 7 unpatched
    phpBB vulnerabilities: 1 of 27 unpatched.

Don't let the number of vulnerabilities fool you, phpBB probably has the larger installed base.
    Both seem to have capable developers and fixes (at least for phpBB) are published the day a vulnerability is published.
    It does look that the vBulletin code is a bit more stable and mature, but I am not an expert in this matter.

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I would assume since Wilders is vBulletin 3.5.0 that We fall in that category.

Edit:
    According to Secunia and reading those 7 advisories they are definetly for older versions....excusing the fact Secunia says some of the "Other versions may also be affected".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.