vBulletin V phpBB

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by davef, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davef

davef Registered Member

On a site I currently help run we are using phpBB. We have been looking at changing to vBulletin. (as used here). Is there any advantage (security wise) as our forum has been hacked a couple of times and was wondering whether vBulletin was any better? I've looked through the respective forums but both seem to be one sided. (no suprise really). So I thought I would asked the learned ones here. Thanks

Dave

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

See these comparisons as of today:
    vBulletin 3.x vulnerabilities: 0 of 7 unpatched
    phpBB vulnerabilities: 1 of 27 unpatched.

Don't let the number of vulnerabilities fool you, phpBB probably has the larger installed base.
    Both seem to have capable developers and fixes (at least for phpBB) are published the day a vulnerability is published.
    It does look that the vBulletin code is a bit more stable and mature, but I am not an expert in this matter.

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I would assume since Wilders is vBulletin 3.5.0 that We fall in that category.

Edit:
    According to Secunia and reading those 7 advisories they are definetly for older versions....excusing the fact Secunia says some of the "Other versions may also be affected".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.