VBA32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by shek, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

With VBA32, I have had one or two freeze-ups and the on-demand scan speed as stated before is very slow even without 'thorough mode' (paranoia mode) being selected. However, overall IMO, it looks promising for a beta.

Firefighter, I believe is putting his malware collection through this AV so hopefully he will post here soon.

"VBA32 has a generic executable packers unpacking engine that is somewhat slower than specialized routines used by other antivirus programs. On the other hand this allows the detection of trojans and malware even packed by new versions of packers/cryptors or in hacked/modified files.

Also cache of previous scan results (vba32.vch cache file is created) improves performance, it is especially important for on-access protection. You can see caching in action by scanning some sets of files twice (but beware that cache does not work in paranoia mode)."

Support has been superb and very quick so far from a Mr Serge Semashko; ss@anti-virus.by for both general and technical queries.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  2. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Yummy, that's a great interface :p (I like it plain...) I'm curious what it's gonna cost for the market outside (Bellarus) Russia ;) :rolleyes:
    Waiting for test results about the detection before I even gonna try it anyway :)

3. Blackcat

Given previously;
    But I wonder what the difference is between the personal and advanced versions?

For a new product they will have to pitch their price accordingly.

4. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

This is a reply on this from Serge:

5. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Whoops, my bad, didn't saw it :doubt:
    Indeed, and the price for the advanced is pretty high in my opinion...

6. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

:D :D :D

7. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

What a heck is this? An Anti-Virus that has nothing to do with Kaspersky and is coming from the middle of nowhere, just can't score so close to Kaspersky engined av:s. Although McAfee VSE 8.0i with AntiSpy module is not in my test table now, it's obvious that VSE is as far behind Vba32 as Vba32 is behind Shaw Secure (= F-secure 2005) with Ad-Aware module. The version of Vba32 in this test was Vba32 WinNT Workstation 3.10.3 beta with maximal heuristics (detected 39 samples only by heuristics).

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  8. Blackcat

Very interesting results, FF.

VBA32 looks like one to watch out for!

9. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Wow, that's pretty impressive for a "new" AV. It will be interesting to see how it (and others like, Arcavir) will perform, when hopefully more tests will be made by some of the other AV-testing sites.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Really interesting. Score 95% is really not bad for a newcomer.

11. dan_maran

They seem to be working extremely quick in the virus sig DB and heuristic training. This is a nice move, now all they need is to clean up the program and get rid of those little annoyances and this would be a great AV.

@ Happy Bytes - A little play on "words" so to speak. :)

12. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

As I wrote before, Vba32 was really capable to beat even McAfee VSE 8.0i with AntiSpy module 8.0.0. VSE just added to my test table above. I have never met an av that has scored better than McAfee VSE 8.0i against my infected samples collection except Kaspersky engined ones. Norton 2005 was very close to VSE 8.0i before, but still only close to VSE 8.0i.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

13. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

I know what it means :D Thats why i quoted it :D

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

So there is really a chance that thy could keep up with others in just two weeks :)

15. Blackcat

They do seem to be expanding the database very rapidly ;)

And if you look at "What's new" in the VBA32 start program entry, they have been releasing versions since at least 2001.

Therefore, they are relatively unknown, but not completely new.

16. dan_maran

Sorry OT:
    I knew you figured it out as soon as you quoted it, I guess I didn't convey my point, in that post. :)

17. Siarheika

Siarheika AV Expert

That's true. We are just flooded with new undetected malware samples that are coming from Jotti and are updating virus databases to detect them all. Right now we are getting 2-3 times more new malware samples each day than usual. We hope that this flow will stabilize soon (in about 2 weeks as was stated in one of the previous messages) and all the most popular malware that Jotti's visitors usually suffer from and submit for test will be detected properly.

And to be honest, 3000 malware samples used in Firefighter's test is a rather small collection. Results of such tests heavily depend on the collection which is used. If we have such malware in our collection too, detection rate is almost 100%, if we did not see any of these malware before, the result would be close to 0% :)

For example, Andreas Clementi also tested our antivirus (on a much larger collection), the results were not so bad (as he mentioned in this thread too) but somewhat disappointing for us (detection of win32 backdoors, worms and trojans was much worse than we expected). No more details as this information is confidential.

Right, we have been developing antivirus software since 1997, but only distributed it in Belarus (and had to compete with KAV and DrWeb on this maket). Miracles happen sometimes, but it is impossible for a good antivirus to appear just out of nowhere without lots of hard work :). We are newcomers on Jotti's page and on international market, but not in AV industry in general.

18. Blackcat

Welcome to Wilders, Siarheika

Thanks for your comments and I(we) hope you stick around.

Impressed both with the program and the support so far.

Any provisional time frame for a "gold" release of VBA32?

And how often does VBA32 update? Every day, several times/day?

19. dan_maran

I am glad to see someone from the company made it to WildersSecurity to clear some things up. As you can see from this thread we are quite excited about your AV and it seems you folks are just as eager to please, without releasing garbage programs. Which is a nice switch from the norm these days.
    I also noticed the Beta key expires on the 30th of June is that just a random date or is that a "floating" date for an international release?

Again, great work.

//EDIT//
    BlackCat seems asthough we posted about the same time.
    LOL, we need lives!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  20. Blackcat

I have 9 of them and one of them is permanently here at Wilders :D

21. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

I like the program, and its spartan interface.

But I noticed an immediate system drag. Applications took slightly longer to launch on my system in comparison to Dr.Web or Arcavir. Perhaps if they can streamline the monitor and make it a bit lighter, i'll have a second look.

PS System tested on is a 3.4Ghz P4 w/1024mb PC3200 Ram and 6800Ultra graphics card. So its not a slow system. But I do notice when an application adds drag.

22. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Welcome, Mr. Semashko, and best of luck with your software. We've changed your title over here to a more suitable one in the meanwhile ;)

regards,

paul

23. Blackcat

It does speed up! I noticed this slight slow down soon after install but after a day now, my old test system ( 400MHz, 192MB RAM ) is back up to normal speed.

The RTM caches files as it scans so it does speed up considerably after a short while. Accept the default settings of the Monitor, as the all files settings on my system also caused a drag.

I agree it is not quite as light as the good Doctor, but what is!

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Hm,can't turn on heuristics. How do i obtain trial? key?

25. Blackcat

See post 17 of this thread ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.