VBA32 or KAV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by n8chavez, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Brian

A user isn't locked into that feature. It's there if you want it and not if you don't. Me I like it. It's worked fine, but if you don't, you don't have to use it. In the latest MP1 beta's they've significantly improved the scan speed. A full scan for me used to be 1:10, and now it's :44 Thats pretty significant.

Pete

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hi Brian,
    You don't seem to be using KAV or KIS anyway, so why bother so much?:D

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

1. On-Demand Scan. Most KAV users, particularly newbies will stay with the default settings so most users will not use the very fast on-demand scan. If the scan is taking a long time, they can simply select to shut down the scan after it has finished and can therefore carry it out at any time. Experienced KAV users know to mix up the slow and fast scans and to manually check downloaded files.

2. On-Access Monitor. Again default settings will be used by most users. BUT the "Scan new and changed files only" settings is not like the one in Dr Web or VBA32. This setting can again be supplemented by a regular default on-demand scan.

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

The sad part your obvious hatred towards Kaspersky is that no one will listen to you if you continue this "mission" of yours, you seem to grab any little straw you can get, then twist it and present it in your usual "rambo style", that even other Nod32 users will see through.

Now about your claims: No the "scan new & changed files only" option does not mean it will not be scanned ever again, because it will, i can tell you this from months of testing it.

.....................On second thoughts, would you please continue in your usual style, because me thinks the entertaiment around Wilders would loose something without your comedy act.:D

5. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Please stop poking the bear. If I remember correctly (sarcasm) I started this thread to help me make a decision on what AV to use; KAV or VBA, not on KAVs use of Iswift. People here must have a lot of free time on their ands and enjoy egging others on for the hell of it. If this thread is not going to stay on topic, I ask the mods to close it.

Don- Haven't you heard that it is best not to react or pay attention to a bully? Guess Not. I can assume that you're here just for that reason because you are a regular at the Kaspersky forum (and obviously biased), are unobjective, and not helping this threads purpose.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I used to think that after every update those files get rechecked but it's not it. Update frequency is too high so it would be pretty pointless. They however use some different aproach of re-checking files.
    Also as far as i know they skip all properly signed files (signed by Microsoft).
    If file is modified it looses the signature anyway, so pretty simple way of avoiding scanning system files that are clean.
    More detailed stuff is known only to KL team however...

7. Don Pelotas

Ok, i apologies accordingly for being one of those who hijacked your thread.

Now on topic:

I would with my coloured eyes choose KIS 6.0...because it's light on resouirces and still maintain it's 99.5/9% detectionrate despite being lighter, faster in the new version and there are features yet to be implemented.:)

About your last comment yes, normally, but the info was simply too incorrect to just ignore like i normally do with Brian's posts.

8. n8chavez

As my signature suggests, I currently use NOD32. I have a valid licence for it, with quite a bit of time left on it, but I feel it is time to move on mainly because of the way ESET is handling version 3; with a lack of information. That being said, I do agree that x.299 of KAV 6 is especially light on my system, even lighter than previous versions. So I do like KAV and am very interested to know what those features are that have not yet been implemented.
    For some reason I am still drawn to VBA32. There have been times when it caught an infection that CureIt (Dr Web), NOD32, and KAV all missed. So i guess I feel safe with it. That might just be a false sense of security thought. VBA32 has become increasingly heavily lately. But I am suprised on how fast it adds defs and their hueristics.

9. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Sounds to me like "Brian N" is a former Norton user still scarred by all the "Norton Bashing".Even if what you say were 100% correct which i don't feel it is, your talking about on demand scanning.KAV would catch any nasties once the file was accessed don't you think?.

10. Peter2150

Hi n8chavez

I think they are working on some new PDM features, but I got to tell you they gave the scanning one big kick in the ..... Not counting the Iswift features the scanning time has dropped dramatically. As I said before my scan time for a complete scan dropped from about 1 hour and 10 minutes with previous builds, to about 43 minutes with the most recent beta's. This was noticed by many. A drop from 70 minutes to 43 is darn significant.

Pete

11. Don Pelotas

There are several, i can't remember all, but: Deep memory scanning, snortrules (FW), more things added to the proactive: keylogger, better rootkit detection, advanced disinfection, there are more but i can't remember of the top of my head....yes, parental control for the suite version.

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Better yet -- do not feed the troll.:cool:

So as to return somewhat to thread topic, tests show KAV affords superior protection. One should take note that OnlineArmor-AV+ now includes KAV plus a full-on HIPS + a spam killer + (coming soon) a firewall -- a VERY sweet (uh... suite) package!

13. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Since you mentioned it, has OnlineArmor-AV+ updated to KAV 6 yet?.

14. IBK

IBK AV Expert

6.0 and 5.0 show the same results during scan task (on-demand scans).The difference is in Proactive Defense module (behavior blocker) that exists in version 6.0 only.

15. .....

..... Registered Member

Scanning speed of v6 seems quicker however (on demand scanning). Atleast on the systems i've ran it on.
    Online Armor AV+ still uses v5 of the KAV engine.

n8chavez, i don't think anyone can really help you choose. Its upto you, consider the advantages and disadvantages YOU see of each product and choose that way. You can run one on demand and the other in realtime. KAV has alot of "value added" realtime componants that VBA32 doesn't.

16. Durad

Durad Registered Member

I have a solution for you!

Why dont you buy both of them so you cant go wrong?

Am i right guys? ;)

17. .....

..... Registered Member

Sorry Durad, seems like you missed something in the first post:

;)

18. Peter2150

HI IBK

You are right relative to the released version of 6.0. But the leastest beta's of 6.0 MP1 have an afterburner now.:D

19. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Sorry i missed that.

Use 1 month each than change :)

20. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

If you like Vba32 why not use it?

21. n8chavez

I want to thank everyone that has helped me while I make my primary AV decision. I have tried nearly every product out there, but in the end decided to go back to an old friend; the good doc. There were things I liked about every AV but with a simply interface, pitbull-like huerisrics and aggressive def adding Dr Web seemed the way to go. Simple and very effective.

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If I did not like the ISwift and IChecker and the "scan only new or changed files" I would just uncheck them and not use them. I cannot understand the problem since there is an option. Use it and feel more secure if that is what it takes.
    Jerry

23. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

That's even more bullcrap.
    Expressing you opinion on this forum could never lead to lots of name calling and 'stuffing words in my mouth' thingies - Well, guess I was wrong.

I've never imaged being called a troll, the lowest scum on the net.
    I understand that you people are defending you AV, because its oohhh sooo good, but calling people trolls, putting words in their mouths is just sad.

Now I know how the Kaspersky userbase works.. A bunch of teens with no social life whatsoever.
    You make me sad.

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  24. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I am not a user of KAV. I am a DrWeb user. I honor Kaspersky for much the same reasons that, although I don't drive a BMW, I know from reading objective tests/reviews that BMW is a bloody good driving machine.

I am quite impatient with critics who condemn what they don't understand and, when they run out of facts, start comparing credentials.

Having said that, I consider VBA32 to be one of the best of the new group of AVs. Not yet in KAV's class... but close on its heels.

25. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Just hilarious. Now you expect us not to call you a troll after this outing? Please. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.