VAT on UK upgrades

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Earthling, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

Because ATI 11 and earlier can only perform sector-by-sector backups on the current version of the ext3 file system, and because Acronis do not apparently intend a new build of ATI 11 to rectify this, I reluctantly accepted yesterday that my only option was to upgrade to 2009. However I aborted the purchase when I saw that Acronis are imposing 19% VAT when the rate of VAT in the UK is only 15%, recently reduced from 17½%. It has never been 19%.

Are you aware that you are breaking UK law Acronis?

2. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

Are you sure that you were buying from a UK site?
    You may actually be buying from outside the UK where purchase tax is higher.

3. Earthling

From acronis.co.uk

Attached Files:

4. jehosophat

You can report this to the VAT section at HM Customs and Excise at:

ecustomer.support@hmce.gsi.gov.uk

I see no reason for VAT at this rate. So I have sent the details to teh VAT man.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  5. Earthling

I will give Acronis an opportunity to respond first. It might be a simple error.

6. jehosophat

A simple error like all the bugs in their software? :)

7. como

como Registered Member

This occurs with other software houses as well, the excuse I was given is that you are buying from the EU where vat on software is higher. Your screen shot shows the website as ag which I believe is Germany.

Try using the Acronis link to retail suppliers from their website, they don't have any in the UK!!

8. Earthling

Well spotted! So is cleverbridge AG registered for VAT in the UK I wonder? I bet not, and if not then who is actually the beneficiary of the VAT here?

I'm going to make some enquiries.

9. como

como Registered Member

I spotted this when I checked a price for a Nero upgrade, I can't remember where I saw the explanation for 19% VAT but it was on the web.
    As you are paying a German company I assume it will be the German Chancellor and not Gordon!

10. Earthling

.......... or even Alistair :D

11. como

como Registered Member

Ah, but who is pulling the strings?

12. Roaster

Roaster Registered Member

Earthling,

I suppose you are settled in the UK, aren't you? If you entered a UK shipping address I would suppose that a UK dealer would add UK local VAT.

If you are ordering via a German shop, they have to add German local VAT which is currently 19%.

IMO it won't matter if cleverbridge AG is registered for VAT in UK because they have to pay German VAT when delivering to an EU country like the UK and you don't have any Value Added Tax Identification Number at hand either which would prevent you from paying VAT.

OTH I frequently order downloadable software from non-German or non-EU countries too and sometimes have to pay VAT and sometimes not. It too depends which service the software vendor has chosen for billing processing.

Sometimes I'm using an US proxy to buy software because the shops frequently set US = EUR currency. When using an US proxy almost every time get US dollars for currency which is currently the best bet for us EU citizens ;-)

13. Earthling

Yes, I know that sales to private individuals from one EU country to another are liable to VAT at the rate of the exporting country, but in this case I was ordering on acronis.co.uk for delivery to a UK address and really resent being charged 19%.

Anyway, as the cause for all this is Acronis' failure to offer a new build for TI 11 that supports the current ext3 file system, thus forcing me to upgrade when I don't want to, I think it's time to take a serious look at alternative backup solutions.

14. Roaster

Roaster Registered Member

Would be fine if you post here if you have discovered an alternative backup application. I already tried Symantec Ghost before which got worse each release they offered.

Ahead software (Nero) offers an alternative, too, with BackItUp 4, however did not try it so far.

OO-Software offers DiskImage 3 which is way off a perfect backup solution.

15. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

If a business organization makes the purchase and has VAT ID, then the organization can enter it in the field and VAT will not be applied to the purchase.

If a European Union citizen makes the purchase, the 19% VAT will be applied regardless of what European country the customer is a citizen of. This is because CleverBridge is located in Germany and the German VAT rate is 19%.

Thank you.

__

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.