Valve Patches Security Bug That Existed in Steam Client for the Past Ten Years

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by guest, May 31, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

Valve Patches Security Bug That Existed in Steam Client for the Past Ten Years
    May 31, 2018
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...isted-in-steam-client-for-the-past-ten-years/

2. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Steam, its crappy service adds exception to Windows Firewall inbound connection list without any dialog or choice about it. They will not give that choice after that flaw too, I guess.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Rofl. Oh wow an app added a firewall exception the sky is falling, nothing ever does that! What a rubbish app!

4. reasonablePrivacy

There should be an option in the Steam preferences to disable that. All the features I am interested in works well without that inbound rule.
    I can remove that exception manually, but Steam is seeking changes in firewall exceptions and adds that again! Without my permission, consent or even knowledge! I would not know about it if I would not inspect my firewall rules! It is not acceptable!
    There are workaround such as managing firewall rules via Group Policy or chan, but this should not be necessary.

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It's a necessary part of their networking API for peer to peer games, be happy they do not use UPnP, deal with it.

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/multiplayer/networking

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Better late then never? :argh:

7. reasonablePrivacy

Most of home users have NAT on routers, configured in manner they can not connect directly anyway.
    I am dealing with it by managing firewall rules by Group Policy. Fortunately Steam does not change settings applied by Group Policy.

I am suprised that somebody on IT security forum justifies some non-security program messing with OS security settings without at least opt-out option.

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Why aren't you using a tool like WFC? It will automatically block all inbound and outbound rules that are made by apps. And I freaking hate platforms like Steam, I still prefer to buy games on DVD.

https://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.