v4 IDS killing internet connection

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by SEMEYE, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butler360

butler360 Registered Member

Eeek. :blink:

I have to say, the customer has a point and this response is a bit aggressive.

You guys need to come out and say, "Hey, we made a mistake. We launched the product too early. We're putting it back into beta status until we figure this out." Then you need to lock yourselves in a room and figure it out.

Honestly, BSODs, internet drops, detection of non-existent "attacks"... this is getting out of hand. Just be honest and transparent and deal with it. Don't get all confrontational with customers who are merely trying to use a supposedly non-beta program they paid for. :thumbd:

2. Farmand

Farmand Registered Member

And not having any isues with the new release.. Everything is working great..

Thanks ESET..

3. Uroboros

Uroboros Registered Member

Ditto. So far my connection is still working.

Knock on wood.

Considering with the last version of V4 I ran into trouble rather quickly looks like we're doing fine

4. RickD

RickD Registered Member

Well in a moment of weakness I uninstalled v3 and put the newest v4 on.

Everything seemed to be smooth but then once again...stopped my internet connection. Jumped on my laptop and connection was just fine on it.

All day yesterday and today on v3 not a problem and within a couple hours internet gone on v4.

Forget this...

I will stay on v3 untill the community says v4 is working correctly.

No, I will not submitt or test anything. The community at large has provided enough of what is happening, I did not sign up to be in any beta, I paid 90 bucks for 3 coppies of a working security suite.

I guess that suite for now will be v3.

5. The PIT

The PIT Registered Member

Well my machine keeps freezing when browsing the internet so now dropped back to V3.

Problem is there's nothing logged anywhere, event viewer or esets logs so it may not be that program causing the problem. Only time will tell.

Without anything in any logs you can't submit anything.

6. jlldn

jlldn Registered Member

Well, I updated the Personal firewall module to 1045, and it stopped from blocking and disconnecting from the Ethernet (witch is good). But know it blocks access to Google Reader (for know is the only one I noticed), and nothing appears in the log file. If I disable the firewall, google reader is up and running :doubt: .

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Though I have only been running it since yesterday, version .417 seems to have solved the issues I was having. I am not having any problems at this moment that I can blame on ESS. Looks good, so far...

This is on both a Vista 32 Ultimate Laptop and a Vista 64 Ultimate desktop.

8. theseus47

theseus47 Registered Member

I've also had intermittent problems connecting to various google services, (mail, reader, search, etc.). It doesn't happen all the time, but every so often, I simply won't be able to connect to google.

Turning off the firewall will restore access again, but turning the firewall back on raises the problem again.

A reboot usually fixes it...until the next time it happens :(

9. jlldn

jlldn Registered Member

Still... I'm not going to restart every time this happens...:doubt:

In the log I get this some times, all of them are between my IP and my ISP Central... -.-
    Detected DNS cache poisoning attack

10. muppetman

muppetman Registered Member

I just joined this thread to say that google reader (And in fact most google services) stop working for me with the firewall on, but only when I am using my HSPA Wireless modem.

If I'm at home using the laptop via Wifi, it works just fine.

Turning off the Firewall instantly makes google reader load up.

I have tried taking a packet dump with Wireshark, but there's nothing to show you, Wireshark catches nothing except the DNS lookup. Past that, not a single packet is caught.

I'm happy to give ESET remote access to my laptop (via VNC) to attempt to debug this problem, if they feel that it would help somehow.

Kind Regards,
    Tim

11. muppetman

Actually sorry ESET, but I've gone back to v3. I have been getting really bad performance at home recently and I just twigged it was since installing the latest v4.

I have removed it and installed v3 for the moment. I hope that in the future v4 fixes this small, but annoying, problem.

If you're really keen I will install v4 if you want to debug, but somehow I doubt it :)

Tim

12. silverfox55

silverfox55 Registered Member

I thought this was supposed to be fixed !!!!!!!

I think it would be best to can V4 and start a fresh on V5 from the ground up

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The entire user base isn't having problems.

Those that posts with problems here should also name their operating system and any other security software they are using.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  14. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

Still not our problem as far too many users got issues.

Same as with the 3 builds after v3 .650 and you blamed the end users PC but finally fixed it with the 4th build after v3 .650. :cool:

I have nothing bar ESET ESS v4 on my PC, it was fine with v3 after the issues with buggy builds mentioned above were solved (they slowed WEB also due to AV Settings not FW).

I have Vista 64 Ult and ESET ESS v4.

Do what Lavasoft did and start over with a total rebuild from the ground up after they messed up on 2007.

15. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

If Eset support cant reproduce the connection problem with the firewall... I can give you access to a workstation with ESS4 latest version through vnc or teamviewer.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I can't speak for ESET but that seems helpful to me.

17. Riony

Riony Registered Member

Same here, ESS is blocking google :eek: ! I used two computers and different connections.

a) Windows XP Professional SP3
    Connection: DSL
    Browsers: IE8, FF 3.0.8

b) Windows XP Home Edition SP3
    Connection: Dial-up (yeah, haha this still exists)
    Browsers: IE8, FF 3.0.8

ESET Smart Security 4.0.417, update 3986
    Firewall: Automatic Mode
    I'm not using any other security software

This problem is too weird. Somethings google loads and sometimes it does not (most of the time). When it is not working, I turn the firewall off, and then google loads immediately :blink: .

18. theseus47

theseus47 Registered Member

Problem with google as mentioned above. My specs probably aren't that helpful though...

Windows 7 x64
    Minefield, Chromium
    No other security system
    4.0.417/3987
    Interactive Mode

19. muppetman

Agreed. The first version of v4 (the non-beta/rc) worked well for me. It's only since upgrading to the 1045 firewall module (which came with the latest version when I installed it three days ago) that I started to have problems.

So it seems like the new 1045 that was supposed to fix problems is actually causing problems for some people, where there wasn't problems before.

I hope they fix it soon, as stated, happy to provide any remote access necessary for debugging.

Tim

20. Riony

Riony Registered Member

You're right. The problem started three days ago, when ESS was updated. Everything was working nice before.

21. pomocnik

pomocnik Registered Member

ESSv4 beta was in my pc without problems. i´ve got problems with first verion of ESSv4. problems also with 1045 which was sent from here.
    i came back to v3.

yestarday i give a try to ESSv4 again, this time 4.0.417.

And actually from yestrday cca 15:00 my connection works like a charm, no dropouts, no slowdown, no problems, no new loggings in logs.

system was same as before, i use full image.

for me all problems are gone :eek:

22. The PIT

The PIT Registered Member

Well two machines with XP sp3 one with Ie7 another with IE 8 both with latest firefox. One machine dual boot with Vista 64 bit. Both machines with firewall interactive mode.

On the machine with IE7 V4 firewall wouldn't even load up so it was back to version 3 on that machine.

One the machine with IE8 V4 would freeze while using firefox to browse the web. 99 times it would recover.

Now back with version three on that machine as well and no problems so far. The latest firewall didn't make any difference to the freezes.

Looks like version four needs pulling back to beta.

Don't use Vista much so i don't know if the freezing occurs with that one as it's still running on it.

23. chromiumdomium

chromiumdomium Registered Member

Hi,

I decided to give the latest version a re-try and I've been running with it for about three days now without issue. Internet connections seem quick an solid now. I set the firewall in learning mode to start with and after about a day I switched it to interactive. Everything else is pretty much default except for sharing across the local network, which I have enabled.

I must say it's a bit quieter than Avira SS 9 that I was using during my wait for a fix to V4. My worry now is that Avira was catching various bits of malware stuck in my old e-mail archives and one or two things in some old zip files. Eset SS either V3 or V4 doesn't report any problems with these files.

I've already commented in my other thread about some Trojans being found by Avira. I fairly certain that these were false positives, but it's hard to be sure! Virus Total results were fairly inconlusive with the files I submitted. Avira didn't come back with any comments on the files I submitted to them!

On balance I think I'm happy to back in the Eset fold. However, I'm a bit perturbed by the occasionally quite poor customer relations experience from the Eset Moderators on this forum.

Regards,

Greg

24. silverfox55

silverfox55 Registered Member

Maybe because nobody has a clue what is wrong. In industry it is common to blame the customer or somebody else when you do not know what is wrong. I agree the moderators attitude to this problem and some customers is somewhat lacking.:thumbd:

25. TBR

TBR Registered Member

Has anybody thought of going to somebody like theInquirer.net with this thread and a bit of background? I.e. Released despite concerns from the community about a prevalent bug which prevented internet access, still not resolved despite "patches" - not updates, and general lack of feedback or helpfulness from ESET.

Nothing like the kick up the financials a good bit of bad publicity has on getting a problem resolved a little bit quicker.

I mean, HOW long has it been now? How long do they need?

Im sure as hell fed up of it and to be honest, going nowhere near V4 until its fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.