V4 Final= ridiculous

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by MasterTB, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

OK, this is making me crazy... Most of the problems reported for V4Beta/RC are still there...
    I still cannot block removable media... The SSL scanning is still buggy and the only way it works is setting it to ask for every ~Snip~ site... and so on and so forth.
    IS this really going to be Eset's policy from now on? To rush products after one buggy as hell beta and 2 weeks of "RC" (or so they called it)?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan... It has always protected me... but there is a limit... yo cannot expect people to BUY your product if it is a rushed incomplete product....

To shine a light, I uninstalled the RC, cleaned the system, rebooted, and installed the "Final" version freshly downloaded from the web... I cannot visit secure SSL sites any more... I plugged my N95-3 in Data Transfer mode with removable media blocke (no exceptions) and it got recognized and lunched... cannot update because everything seems to be chocked at the servers... do I need to say more?

This is the first time that I remember being so harsh at Eset, and I think they deserve it. The product has so many good things, but it is not final yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2009
  2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I agree with you, they rushed it for the CeBIT convention in Germany as far as I can see, March 03-08.

I'm going to assume after that period we will see a little more effort placed in new builds, and hopefully PCU's.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Very strange but you are right , i just tried it . Very strange for me because earlier today with the RC version this option worked .

I no longer have the RC version install file , though :(

4. elapsed

I have the 32bit version of the av and ess I can host for you. But thanks to my luck my monitor to the desktop died today, so it will be a few more days before I get a new monitor, and can upload it.

5. MasterTB

@HiTech_boy
    Me neither, I just deleted it before downloading the final. But I am very sorry for this result. I had very high hopes for V4.
    We'll just have to wait and see if they fix it.

6. StoneDog

StoneDog Registered Member

Count me in on this one as well :mad:

I have praised ESET - almost like gospel - and now they release ESS 4 final ... I was joyed as I was hit by
    - many SSL connections don't work with SSL scanning (e.g. my internet banking etc. - no monies for a drink to calm the nerves :cool: )
    - a lot of timeouts with 'Server not found'

.... so I installed the so-called "final" version - and behold, it still doesn't work :gack:
    Further the signature file update is apparently put on hold because of an error o_O

I am disappointed - VERY much so !
    ~Snip~ no communications or what-so-ever .... SUCKS !

While I cry a few tears I hope that at least I can update my 1 month outdated virus signature files so I don't get hit by a new 'infection' - perhaps I can sue the crap out of ESET if it happened :D

//StoneDog

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2009
  7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

8. elapsed

Um, I thought SSL scanning was off by default. Did they change it in final?

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No , it is still OFF by default.

10. StoneDog

StoneDog Registered Member

Well - update works now .... 18 megs worth of it. Does quite a few module updates as well ...

So I thought - test SSL againg: Still doesn't work automatically - however setting the SSL Protocol Filtering to 'Ask about non-visited sites ...' provides you with one or more pop-up's where you can say you will always trust this site's certificate ... and it then works afterwards. Happy days :p
    This suggests to me that the certificate handling is what is causing all this trouble for ESET .... I have hopes now that it will be solved when it works pressing a button manually.

No more ranting from this corner of the world (for now) ;)

//...Dog

11. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The screenshot provided shows a "send feedback" link in the titlebar, so I am assuming you are running Microsoft Windows 7. While there have been many reports that the software works fine with Microsoft Windows 7, it is important to note that since the operating system itself is in beta, so compatibility is going to vary.

If you have a list of SSL sites that do not work with ESET Smart Security, please provide the URLs and other information such as the browser type and version and operating system for further investigation by ESET's engineers.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

12. MasterTB

Yes, I am running windows seven build 7000. But I have a notebook with Vista Basic 32 bits and have the exact same issues so....

As for the SSL problem, I started a thread here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=234306

You can see that the sites I have issues with are gmail and facebook, but not just those, I have trouble accessing Mozilla secure site and sometimes logging into windows live...
    I am running Opera 10 build 1035 but the problem is also present on IE 8 RC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.