v4 Clients - Weekly scan

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by weemarn, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weemarn

weemarn Registered Member

hi,
    we have v4 clients (xp sp3) that run a weekly scan (wed 1pm) that can take in most cases nearly 2 hours and impacts upon performance whilst running.
    out of hours is not an option for various reasons.
    i have spoken to eset and have set to smart scan on local drives and deselected archives & emails, set object size to 10mb & 30 mins with archives on 10mb. the issue still persists.
    has anyone come up against a similar situation?
    thanks

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  2. weemarn

cough, cough :rolleyes:

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Maybe disabling archives and sfx archives would decrease the scan time. Anyways, if you have a lot of runtime archives on the disk it may take time for advanced heuristics to emulate them thoroughly. Code emulation is a time and resource consuming operation.

4. weemarn

thanks for the reply,
    what are the risks involved?

5. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

Another thing to watch for - don't select SCAN ALL DRIVES. If you do this, you are scanning users mapped drives.

So if I tell all my clients to scan all drives at 7pm, once they get past local drives they will all start scanning F:\, a NTFS8 server share, all at the same time. (If the user has f:\ mapped.)

I accidentally did that for a few months, and that did cause performance issues. After fixing that, other than with my VMWare guests, the weekly scans are not so bad.

6. weemarn

yeah i sussed that one straight away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.