v4.0 killing downloads? [Yes, it is!]

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by m00nbl00d, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I though your were saying it was slow, not that it didn't work. If it's just slower with it enabled, that's one thing. But now I see you saying that Nod32 prevents the download of 7Zip files, that is something completely different & definitely needs resolved.

Nod32 3.0.684 took about 15 seconds on my PC to complete the Google SketchUp download once it was at 99%. Intel dual core, XP SP3, using Firefox 3. Under Real-time file system protection, everything is enabled. But if you click on Setup, I've got "runtime packers" and "advanced heuristics" disabled. HTTP scanning is enabled. Under those options, only Potentially unsafe applications" is not selected. Everything else is.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

No problem. ;)

3. pondlife152

pondlife152 Registered Member

No, I'm on Intel Core2 Duo.

It's not a network issue. The download speed is fine. It's the scan at the end of the download that takes a long time and ONLY with 7-zip archive files.

4. m00nbl00d

Would it be too much to ask an Eset moderator to give information, regarding what was solved in the archive module's update that occurred, and when will this issue be solved?

Thanks

5. pondlife152

Yes, someone else with WinXP. It seems you guys aren't as badly affected as those on Vista 32bit. Not sure why.

6. Pecker_Head

Pecker_Head Registered Member

Sorry pondlife152,

I misunderstood the post and took it as a possible network issue. I hope that you are able to find a solution. I for one am keeping my eyes open to see if I can funnel any additional information your way. Other posts I've read indicate that ESET is aware of the 7-zip issue and working toward a fix. Have a wonderful day.

-P_Head

7. pondlife152

No problem. Thanks for trying to help. :thumb:

Hopefully ESET will nail this one, but I understand there may be quite a list of things to sort out with a new product.

8. An10Bill

An10Bill Registered Member

Wouldn't this be solvable by adding an user-customization paramter to the advanced config, allowing you to override ekrn.exe's default memory parameters, allowing it to allocate more memory to speedboost scanning on high-end systems. You could allow the user to override the default settings, and let ekrn allocate 128MB or 256MB ram for scanners/unpackers to get speed increases. The switch could be turned of my default, and enabled by the user, either just placing a check in a box, or by some more hidden feature/reg-fix, and with a warning that this is unsupported and on the users own risk to system stability?

In that case you would please both those with a low end system and lowtec users, and those hightec users to whom speed is alfa and omega!

Just a thoght ;-)

--
    An10Bill

9. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

Ok, so repeat the same problem. Vista, completely patched from Automatic Updates, Nod32 4 whatever the current version is, same policy that applies to my PC applies to my Vista so same settings as previously posted.

Google sketchup download is 32.6MB. Takes about 2 minutes to download over my connection per IE 7. I'm getting 267KB/s but that number decreases over time..... Now its at 99% Now after 30 seconds, My PC rebooted.

Nice.

Well, ends up a co worked decided at that moment to reboot my PC for grins.

Ok, this time it's at 99%, 26.1MB of 32.6MB copied. Sitting.. Took about 30 seconds on Vista to go from 99% to complete.

Aladdin eSafe Gateway does something similar when scanning downloads. It stops the last 1% of the download, or in a zip file the last 20%. It then trickles bits to the client to prevent timeouts. eSafe scans the file, runs it in a VM and looks for odd behavior, then after it is satisfied it releases the last piece of the file. Large .ZIPs can take a long time and some programs don't like that, even with the trickle.

30 seconds for a single Google sketchup download is not horrible considering what's going on. But considering it's twice as fast on a slower XP machine, something's up.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  10. m00nbl00d

Eset folks any news on this issue?

Yesterday, I was downloading an application, to test it, and, I got an error at 99%... That made me realize I had forgotten to disable EAV.

It's not the first time I realize I had forgotten to disable the damn antivirus. And, do I have to disable the damn antivirus everytime I need to download something? I mean, I don't know if the download(s) have been packed with 7-zip or not.

And, prettending, for a second, I'm a real dumb person in what comes to computer security, wouldn't it be dangerous to disable my antivirus, knowing its my main protection, along side, let's say, Windows firewall?

So, in what situation are we? Is this being worked on? Not at all? What?

Communication works both sides. Costumers report problems, and the vendors try to solve them, and, also, report back what's the current situation.

This issue has been report sometime ago, and the archives module has been updated, but, didn't solve this issue. So, what has been solved, heck?

Regards

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you download large archives, the only way to circumvent this is by setting a size limit for scanned archives in the web and real time protection setup.

12. m00nbl00d

And, what is the appropriate size limit we're talking about here?

13. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Going off an average of threat size from my experience, I would say 10mb is more than ample.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.