utorrent in vm

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by newbino, Sep 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbino

newbino Registered Member

I am thinking of setting up my utorrent in a vm, and configure it to always run via a vpn.

Has anybody have ant experience with this? Any general comments or suggestions?

thanks

2. 3inchblue

3inchblue Registered Member

Not sure as to why running in a VM.
    The torrent client itself would not cause malware infections while performing p2p.

3. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

I think its a great idea, why not run all your daily apps like firefox and media/mp3 players and p2p programs in a virtual box/machine ?

All your is then kept away from your real windows as best as it can, all windows logs and logs galore and files are in the virtual machine/box.

For added security one can run the virtual machine/virtual box in a true-crypt partition or container there is a guide here:

https://www.ivpn.net/privacy-guides/how-to-create-VM-within-hidden-truecrypt-partition

This way you have good security, and if your VPN is on in the Virtualbox/machine you have good privacy as well as protection.

4. newbino

Not for security (malware) but for privacy and convenience.

When I run utorrent I do it through a VPN but this has the effect that all my web connections go through it, and it generates two problems:
    a. I have some SMTP email accounts and when using VPN they don't work outgoing - I understand that this is due to the VPN
    b. if I need to login to sites, I am logged with the VPN server IP which I would like to avoid

My thinking is that running utorrent through a VM I would avoid both these issues.

Apart from looking for best practice suggestions, my main concern is whether using utorrent through a VM I might generate excessive disk writes (I have an SSD).

5. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  6. newbino

thanks for your suggestion.
    apart from what the author says
    I also use my vpn for other things, so it's a keeper, and would rather try not to subscribe to an additional service

7. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  8. newbino

Thanks for your suggestion. I am running the latest (+-) utorrent version on my desktop and never had an issue. Can I ask you what makes this a *more stable* version (apart from using, I assume, less resources)?

9. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

Less fluff - meaning less third party software and less options to wade through to make it work.

Read:Understand your Firewall settings.

Always render your Firewall settings to defaults when done.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.