Usman(Shanijee) talks Eset about Nod32 v3

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by shanijee, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

But how many end users actually have a page file disabled with less than 2GB of memory? That in itself is rather rare still, especially among the mass consumer market.

2. iNsuRRecTioN

iNsuRRecTioN Registered Member

Hey,

yes, indeed, but that's no problem for me!

RAM usage is important, not paging file! And every single app on your pc use additionally the paging file, or you have to disable it completely!

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

3. AshG

AshG Registered Member

I'm having trouble understanding (or, at least, swallowing) a lot of the tete a tete over memory usage in this discussion.

I'm a hardware guy, so I see this thread paralleling a lot of the 3DMark threads from the past several years at tech boards I've run/moderated. Flaming, trolling, countless wasted posts were spewed back and forth because of 1% difference in a piece of hardware's performance in one benchmark!

The more I read this thread, the less I understand its intent. While I'm watching memory usage numbers toss back and forth and see people threatening to defect over seemingly insignificant difference, I'm not seeing many reasons as to why it's so important. If NOD32 was using triple the RAM of some other viable options, then sure there might be some cause for passionate discussion.

Benchmarks stopped meaning a lot to me a long time ago. I used to obsess over megahertz and kilobytes and throw money at whatever seemed to be the flavor dujour of hardware or software. Then, I just decided to find what works for me and stick with it. I think the lingo is "YMMV".

If this thread is going to continue (not that I can close it, just saying), then those people throwing numbers back and forth might want to actually post some other performance metrics that we all can understand. Numbers are subjective and are based on a lot of different things, two identical systems could produce disparate results. Want to prove a point? Have two separate systems running NOD32 and run a Businessmark benchmark run or three. See the differences there. Or, use two systems with two different AV programs and do the same thing. Ghost a couple hard drives with identical images and run Kaspersky vs. NOD, full scans, several times and average the results. Objectivism is much more believable than subjectiveism.

Experiences are like fingerprints; no two are alike. Mapping the whole of a product's reputation based on a disparate set of metrics is not a wise thing to do.

4. auriell

auriell Registered Member

I have 2GB and 1GB RAM machines, both without paging file.

read/write into/from RAM is much faster then read/write into/from paging file. If it is a few MB I don't care. Another issue is CPU usage. You can have app that uses 2 MB of RAM and slows down your computer, and 20 MB app that has no impact on system performance.

5. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

First off, props go to AshG, I agree completely. I use Nod32 because it proactively protects my computer on zero day, the super fast installation (uninstallation too, I don't know how to guys made it so fast), scan time and low footprint are only extra positives :)

Do you game with 1GB and no paging file? I've read you get horrible swapping with anything less than 2GB.

6. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Do you want to run NOD32 on your watch ??

:D

7. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

I don't know if XP is the same, but in 9x you can enable conservative swapfile use (I have 512MB RAM) and the swapfile is hardly ever accessed, on my system anyway. I also have a "permanent" swapfile of 512MB. NOD's combined usage on my system is usually around 10MB, no virtual memory.

I wholeheartedly agree with AshG's and Lollan's statements also.

8. auriell

auriell Registered Member

Yes, regularly and my son too. But I have a minimal number of services running on my system (125 MB of RAM used after restart with NOD, Ouspost and Miranda IM running)

9. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

:oops:
    Sorry, must stop these late night posts. :)

You're right by the way with your second number. ;)

10. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I had an AV product for DOS once that used less than a couple of MB's :D :eek: :D

11. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

640 KB ought to be enough for everyone ! :D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  12. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

*plonk* :D

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Off topic and hateful post removed.

14. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I was right about other things influencing the numbers. Had a problem with the latest version of BOClean so I am trialing Ewido and the numbers for NOD32krn.exe and NOD32.kui.exe have dropped like a stone and a whole lot of other processes as well. New numbers are krn.exe 7280 and kui.exe 1516 after 3 hours surfing emailing and running the various types of Ewido scans.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  15. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

Have you tried BOClean 4.21? I have requested it, but haven't received it yet.

16. The Hammer

17. The Hammer

Today 10 minutes after startup the levels are back to their old higher levels so who knows.

18. The Hammer

I know what happens now. Brian you have Ewido and I am currently trialing it. NOD experiences a relatively large (for it) increase in the amount of memory after a update or a scan. A scan with Ewido will knock the amount of memory NOD uses down after a scan. And not just for NOD but for some other process as well. The memory levels over time will gradually increase again. BOClean users may not see this, at least I didn't.

19. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Very interesting topic we have going on here. Any reason in particular why an Ewido scan knocks the memory usage down momentarily?

20. iNsuRRecTioN

iNsuRRecTioN Registered Member

Hey,

yes, because Ewido name it a feature, that all running processes lowering the memory usage after/during Ewido memory thorough scan..!

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.