Using two antivirus programs at the same time

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fred128, Oct 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

I agree in that with Don, there is no evidence regarding that, from my point of view PrevX is just like an AV using blacklists instead of signatures.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That's the classical approach. Only the main AV-scanner would be usefull for me. On-demand scanners are useless to me, because they only remove malwares, when it's already too late. My frozen snapshot does exactly the same : removing installed malwares when it's already too late.

But there are two big differences between on-demand scanners and my frozen snapshot :
    1. A frozen snapshot removes EVERYTHING (= ANY CHANGE) and scanners remove only what is blacklisted in their definition database and what its heuristcs finds.
    2. A frozen snapshot removes malwares in 2 minuts. I don't know any decent scanner or group of scanners that does a FULL scan in two minuts.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well, obviously, that not strictly correct either.

Prevx will flag any application that it does not recognize, or for which a caution exists in addition to known malware. This is distinct from an AV at least with respect to the pure blacklist (plus heuristics these days) vs. blacklist/whitelist/caution/unlisted differentiation. With a standard AV, everything is either known bad or presumed good. Prevx does not appear to presume anything. If it is not known bad or known good, you will be apprised that it is unknown, unless of course you set it to automatically block unknown programs.

Granted, how this fully operates in practice has not been exhaustively quantified in any independent tests that I've seen.

Blue

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Exactly, there is no evidence of anything. Nothing but guesses and guesses are not good enough for me. And guessing creates alot of opinions and preferences without scientific proof.
    That a member agrees or disagrees with another member isn't really valuable to me and doesn't make me wiser. I have my own plans and I can think for myself. :)

5. KOS2006

KOS2006 Registered Member

I think KIS+Antivir will be OK.They can be used at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.