Using the Windows XP SP3?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Darth AkSarBen, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth AkSarBen

Darth AkSarBen Registered Member

Anyone using the new released Windows XP Service Pac 3 RC1? Just wondering how it is doing. I installed it on one computer, but had to uninstall it due to some strange behaviors. I thought I was going to have to reformat before I was through. I'm hoping that they do fix some compatibility stuff in there.

2. appster

appster Registered Member

Haven't tried it personally, but a fellow instructor at UH installed the latest SP3 (RCR2) last week - he is raving about how it has iimproved XP's performance and without any issues (so far)!

As for me, I'll wait until the final is released - hopefully in a couple of months.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Ahhh....I remember before SP2 came out somebody came out with the unoffical SP2, it was just a collection of single updates. Some updates were just betas, did some terrible things to peoples computers. I...I think I'll wait. I don't want to have to reformat my computer

4. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Works OK but it doesnt speed things up-its just a collection of updates plus a few new features which shouldn't affect the performance.
    Think the speed increase isnt real,except if its on a freshly installed Windows.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm on XP Pro so personally i'll leave any performance gains up to the hardware + power supply. $M can't possibly IMO do much to improve performance, security hole coverage maybe, but performance is an area they sorely lack in.

I doubt seriously that i will even bother with it as it's sure to gum things up after i spent 2 years fine tuning their RAW release and pulling myriads of useless and wasteful files/programs from off my installs.

I don't use N-Lite btw, i manually separate the useful from the bloat.

6. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I'm using SP3 RC (3282) and everything works fine. Today I'm testing my own customized Vista Ultimate (fit on CD).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.