Using The Rescue CD to Restore From An Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ginky4, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ginky4

ginky4 Registered Member

My hard drive crashed. I have an image of my primary hard drive on a slave hard drive in the same computer. I have replaced the bad hard drive with a new one.

I am now trying to restore the new hard drive from an image off of the slave hard drive. I do have a rescue cd that I created before the original hard drive crashed. This my first time doing this. What do I need to do now to get back up and running?

2. ginky4

ginky4 Registered Member

I just found out that my Rescue CD is no good. Is there any other way to do this without a Rescue CD? What if I loaded Windows XP Pro back onto the new hard drive first. Could I then restore from the image on the slave hard drive?

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

When you restore an Image to a drive, everything on the drive will be wiped. So the only reason to install the OS would be to re-install True Image in order to make another Rescue CD.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

What version of TI are you using?

How are your hard drives connected? IDE, SATA, RAID?

What happened when you tried to boot from the Rescue CD to prove that it was no good?

Did you try the Rescue CD on any other computer? Sometimes the problem with the Rescue CD is that it doesn't support the hardware on the machine, so it won't boot properly or can't see all the drives, or it does something else due to driver problems.

Do you have another computer with TI installed where you could make another Rescue CD? If not, do you have a friend who could help you out?

Otherwise, reinstall Win XP, install TI and create the Rescue CD that way. Then do the restore.

5. ginky4

ginky4 Registered Member

My problem turns out to be a small one. The hard drive that crashed was actually the slave drive not my primary C drive. That is the drive that had my Acronis image on it.

The secondary hard drive (slave) was so bad that it was preventing my computer from booting. Once I disconnected the ribbon cable from it the computer booted fine. Once the computer was up and running I did make a new Rescue CD and verified it's integrity.

I have since added a new hard drive as a slave and have made an image of my C drive on it with Acronis. The Rescue CD that I had originally was labeled wrong. It had a bunch of Word Files on it and not Acronis Recovery Manager files. That's why it wouldn't boot. Everything is fine now.

I was using Acronis 10. My hard drives are both EIDE.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Oh well, as a well known author said a long time ago "All's well that ends well." :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.