Using Proxomitron to block ads

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by jupiter700, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jupiter700

jupiter700 Guest

Can anyone tell me how I can block the ad banner in Opera with Proxomitron? Which things do I need to select/check off in Proxo to block the ads? Thanks much for help.

2. dog

dog Guest

The only way to Remove the Ad Banner in Opera's toolbar is to purchase a License. :)

:ninja: *puppy* :ninja:

3. beyondo

beyondo Guest

I noticed using Privoxy blocks the ads. ;)

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

It depends which set of ads you have chosen - Opera 7 gives you the choice between an ad-pane or Google text-ads. The ad-pane can be disabled using filters (it will still be present but blank) while text-ads are best handled by seeing which domain (somewhere.google.com) is used and blocking access with firewall rules.

Registering Opera is a more legitimate and trouble-free method...

5. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

I'll bet using Ad-Muncher (Not Free) will also block it (either ad method). It's known to block the Ads in Kazaa.

http://www.admuncher.com/

I'm not sure if Proxomitron can kill the Ad-Pane, but it can most likely kill the Google text-ads. To kill the Ad-Pane, you could use the HOSTS file, or a software firewall such as Outpost that supports Ad-Blocking.

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I didn't get a choice when I installed Opera recently. I have the ad pane. I was able to kill all the ad cookies but I see the ads and I use Proxo with JD's alpha extra configs. So, how would I choose the google ads instead? Those I could kill with Proxo.

Telling me to buy it is no good because I want to try it before I buy it. I can't properly try it with those blasted ads. I have always believed Opera has operated in the wrong manner. Instead of ads, they should offer an ad free trial of 30 days and then you buy it or it ceases to work on your computer. THAT way, I might have bought it years ago. But if I have to contend with ads while I evaluate it ...then I won't evaluate it and I won't buy it unless I can evaluate it. Opera is stupendously stupid on this issue.

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

You should be able to change which set of ads you see via File/Perferences/Advertising.

8. Just passing

Just passing Guest

Now that's just not true, is it.

9. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

It sure does block it, very usefull tool btw. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.