Using Nod32 scheduler to manage clients

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by edwin3333, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

The power of the Nod32 scheduler;

I have remote machines that I am somewhat responsible for. Some I don't have a way to remote into due to their location, firewall settings, etc.

I have about 40 machines that should be using my LAN WSUS server, but due to the site to site communications I can't manage these settings on them as I would most sites.

So Nod32 scheduler along with the RA communications comes to the rescue. What I do is create several new scheduled items to run. I can set these to run once, or at system startup, or other times.

The key is the parameters. The three parameters for the first setting should look like this;
    %comspec%
    c:\
    /c reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU /v NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Now what you want to do is add all these that way;
    /c reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU /v NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    /c reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU /v NoAutoUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    /c reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f
    /c reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU /v ScheduledInstallDay /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    /c reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU /v ScheduledInstallTime /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    /c reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU /v RescheduleWaitTime /t REG_DWORD /d 60 /f
    /c reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU /v UseWUServer /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    /c reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /v WUServer /d "http://wsus.yourserver.com:8080" /f
    /c reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /v WUStatusServer /d "http://wsus.yourserver.com:8080" /f

Of course, replace the wsus server http://wsus.yourserver.com:8080 with your settings. As well as the rest.

It does take a restart of Automatic Updates to get this change in effect. You need to also do

/c net stop "Automatic Updates"
    /c net start "Automatic Updates"
    and
    /c wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow

I'm not sure at this point how to sequence these tasks so they run in the order I want. If this runs out of order, your station may not show up into WSUS until the person reboots.

A sample XML file is below. Be sure to modify the WSUS server to be yours.
    View attachment wsus sample.xml.txt

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.