Using Group Policy in Windows XP HOME EDITION to lock-down a machine.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nadirah, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

From www.zisman.ca:

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Windows XP Home does not include GPEDIT; XP Home users can apparently run this program if they have access to files from an XP Pro (or possibly Win 2000?) installation, by doing the following:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Copy the files gpedit.dll and fde.dll from \WINDOWS\System32 on the XP Pro machine to \WINDOWS\System32 on the XP Home machine.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]From a command prompt issue the following commands on the XP Home machine: regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\gpedit.dll[/FONT]
      [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\fde.dll[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Open the Microsoft Management Console (mmc.exe) and select File->Add/Remove Snap-in... Then click Add. Select the Group Policy snap-in from the list of installed snap ins.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]You can now edit the Group Policy on the local machine. But XP Home doesn't support the same feature set as XP Pro, so the policies you are looking for might be missing.
    [/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Note: I haven't tested this, and can't vouch for it's usability.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]-- AZ
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    I'll try this out on my own machine. I can get the files from my school's computers... burning them to cd. Has anyone using XP Home tried this before?
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.