Using .dat cleaners? Can't access msinfo32.exe?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by sk, Dec 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sk

sk Registered Member

Just [hopefully] some FYI info that might help some folks running XP or W2K and also using .dat cleaning programs, who suddenly realize they can no longer access MS's System Information. (maybe the one DECENT utility provided by MS) Frustratingly, when you click either the System Information link, or the msinfo32.exe file itself, you get the freakin HELP CENTER! The detective work was done by someone who most graciously posted this at DSLR (I would have just posted the link but it didn't seem to work):

"I finally figured it out, after running test after test. A index.dat file has been deleted, and that's why when some run msinfo32 they get the help center instead of system information. I had this problem, and just now got it figured out, I restored a new image and system information was working great, I then ran Spider which cleans temp files, I saved the report rebooted and system information was not working. I looked at what spider deleted and I found it deleted a index.dat here: E:\\WINDOWS\\PCHEALTH\\HELPCTR\\OfflineCache\\index.dat
    I opened and image and restored just this dat, and now my system information is working, so this dat file is the cause for the problem."

I figured that with all the people here using some type of .dat cleaning program, this problem has to have surfaced on somebody's system. And it was frustrating to say the least before that DSLR member figured out the fix. So I thought that if it helps at least one member here it was worth the post.

sk

2. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

SK,

I am running 2K Pro with Window Washer being backup to Tracks Eraser Pro (pretty paranoid :)). I am having no problem at all accessing System Info from either it's shortcut or the run dialog. BTW, your avatar looks strangely familiar :)

3. sk

sk Registered Member

Take heed, my friend. For while you appear to have been spared, trust me - there are those who know not what awaits them just around the next download. But peace unto you and your kind. For when we next meet again it shall be I who says unto you: What are you talking about, man? I'm not having any problem accessing System Info.

:eek:

Then let us see...who shall prevail.

sk

:cool:

(And might I add...you look like living Hell. I, on the other hand, am looking much younger than my age, if I must say so myself!)

4. sk

sk Registered Member

Actually, Feivel, the main program that was causing this problem was Spider. The program you were using probably took into account a lot of the changes in XP. Spider hasn't really been updated in years. But initially it looked to a lot of folks like it would still run on XP. Well, it ran all right; right over some .dat files it shouldn't have. And somewhere in the cobwebs of that thread I seem to recall another program as well that caused problems, so I generalized my comments to '.dat' cleaners. I should have been more specific. I'm glad you didn't have any problems with the program you used.

sk

5. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

To ytell the truth - I am glad also. DAT cleaners in general can wreak havoc if they are written poorly and they do something they have no business doing.

6. sk

sk Registered Member

Agreed, my wise, and long-bearded/haired friend. :D
    But so as not to put Spider in the Gollum category, Spider was written for an entirely different generation of Windows. And in its day - sort of like us old wizards - it did its job quite well. However, time eventually catches up with everything - even old wizards - and such had been Spider's fate. But I refuse to dance on its grave; Spider and Directory Snoop were sure eye opening programs in their day. (If Directory Snoop ever gets it going on with NTFS, I'd load it back up in a sec!). Well, time to go rub on some more linament; these old bones ain't what they used to be.
    :D
    Be well, Feivel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.