Using Comodo Internet Security as an anti-executable

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MrBrian, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I believe it is effective on x64. In fact, I've tested it only on x64; when I've denied execution, execution didn't take place as far as I know.

2. MrBrian

I've updated the guide to v2.0. Feedback is welcome!

3. jay2007tech

jay2007tech Registered Member

Why don't you add "Windows Socket Interface" in Image Execution Control ? Or do you think that would be overkill

4. MrBrian

Would this enhance the anti-executable protection in any way? Although the guide doesn't focus on the firewall, you can use the firewall in any way that you want and still retain the anti-executable functionality. You can also use other Defense+ functionality and still retain the anti-executable functionality.

5. MrBrian

The All Applications file group consists of the wildcard *, so it should cover all of the file types that CIS can handle at a given Image Execution Control Level.

6. MrBrian

Guide updated to v2.01. The recommendation in step 10 was changed.

7. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Nice job on this MrBrian. Testing it out in my VM and it seems to work well. Only minor issue is that I'm getting execute popups for svchost.exe trying to 'execute' various .exe's, most of them in my downloads folder. They are clearly not being executed, so I'm unclear what is really happening.

8. MrBrian

Thank you for the feedback Scoobs72 :).

I noticed the same issue in testing. You're using the DLL interception option, correct (i.e. option 2 in step 10)?. I believe the reason that you see these extra prompts is because the Aggressive setting for Image Execution Control Level also covers prefetching and caching. To avoid these prompts, please try using the Defense+ prompt suppression feature, as is currently recommended in the guide when using option 2 in step 10. See the Notes section in the guide for details on how to do this. If you do this, please report if you experience any problems.

I've posted a wishlist item that CIS ought to be able to detect DLLs in the Normal setting for Image Execution Control Level, in order to avoid this issue.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  9. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Yes, that's right. The Defense+ suppression solution solves the problem, although right now I'm not using it until I've road-tested the solution a bit more.

Also, I think (tentatively) there may be an error in the guide. In section 20, your blocked applications screenshot is showing files, not directories. This results, for example, in anything that commences C:\windows\systems32\tasks* being blocked opposed to everything in the directory c:\windows\system32\tasks\ being blocked. I've amended my entries in this table to include \ so that they all show as directories.

Thanks for all your efforts on this :)

10. MrBrian

You're welcome :).

The entries in step 20 are correct as far as I know - it should have the asterisk and not an ending backslash. It looks strange I know. Test it out by putting an .exe in one of those folders (or subfolders thereof) and try to execute it - it should be blocked. Let me know if I'm wrong. In any event, I'll change that step to make things more clear.

Your continued feedback is very welcome - good or bad - especially since I'm actually using AppLocker and not CIS on my newest computer. I created the guide for those who don't have access to SRP or AppLocker, so that nobody needs to be left out from execution protection :).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  11. MrBrian

I just tested this. The suggested changes won't work properly. Ending with an asterisk does work.

For example, these entries do not work:
    c:\windows\system32\tasks
    c:\windows\system32\tasks\

This entry works:
    c:\windows\system32\tasks*

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i am new to comodo and i am learning here:D where can i go to apply certain rules for example:)
    c:\windows\system32\tasks* thanks

13. MrBrian

That was referring to step 20. You don't need to change anything if you already followed the guide - just be sure that the folder entries from steps 20 and 21 end with * . The Defense+ policies are listed when you go to Defense+ -> Advanced -> Computer Security Policy.

I updated the guide to v2.02 to add an explanation of the above.

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks mr brian

15. MrBrian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.