Using Command Prompt From Windows 7 Repair CD

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TerryWood, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

I am trying to learn to use the command line and am a novice.

I want to use the Windows 7 repair CD that I made when I got my new computer. I want to use the command line prompt to open explorer.exe so that I can navigate to an external hard drive where I have snapshot.exe in a folder so that I can image my drive. (Yes I know there are other and perhaps easier ways)

Can anybody help me with command line syntax - Remember I am a novice

Thank you

Terry

2. philby

philby Registered Member

Hi Terry - I only occasionally dabble in the command line but thought I'd give opening explorer.exe a shot from the Win7 disk, both out of interest and to possibly help.

I typed chdir/d c: to get the system drive in focus
    I then typed cd windows to call up that folder
    I then typed start explorer.exe to open up explorer

...but I got a message saying it couldn't start because explorerframe.dll could not be found

I'm not surprised, however, as I didn't expect explorer to run outside Windows.

I'm sure someone will soon come along to put us both straight...

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i got the same error.
    I also tryed running portable file mangers from my usb stick and got a different error saying a subsystem isnt available

it may be possible to run the explorer.exe from the windows 7 disc but so far havent been able to find out where it is stored.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  4. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Did you try using notepad.exe command? When notepad running then click File > Open - and voila you will see folders/files, you can navigate/copy/paste/remove/etc any files or folders using this method.

5. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi Creer

Yes I did try the Notepad.exe, problem with this is when you have opened notepad then Navigated to where I keep snapshot.exe how do you run or open snapshot.exe? Thats why I wanted Explorer.exe.

Thanks

Terry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.