Using AdBlock Plus Is Stealing

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I never really bothered with the adblocking plugins and extensions. I guess I just "tune out" the ads automatically and don't see them. The only ones I think are troublesome are the ones that jump around and flash on the screen, those I hate, so if I see that, I usually just leave the page and move on.

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

The fact that Firefox can be used with an extension that blocks ads does not make it evil/bad/whatever. Saying so in any context is flat out wrong, objectively and subjectively. Mr. Lewis is clearly against anything (apparently even legitimate competition) that doesn't suit HIS vision of how the internet should be viewed/used.

Shame on him!!! :eek:

3. Reposed

Reposed Registered Member

I better stop making cups of tea during TV ads, lest I infringe on the commercial stations rights that obliges me to watch their ads as "payment" for viewing their content. And as for channel surfing, I think they need to enforce a lock on remote controls that disables changing channels during programs. In fact, you should have to consent to a terms and conditions agreement before being allowed to watch a program, and then you should be locked into that program for the duration.

How far are we willing to take this?

4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I used to run a community web site (far bigger than here) where about half the revenue came from advertising (the other half came from donations). Without it, the site wouldn't function.

I am all for blocking ANNOYING adverts - mainly popups, but not blocking all adverts.

I would NOT block anyone who was running an ad blocker, for example I have no choice at work, because our firewall blocks the major banner companies.

So is blocking adverts actually stealing ? IMHO NO, but it could break the Terms and Conditions of the website, but are the Terms and Conditions actually enforceable in an legal capacity ?

5. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Opera can be used to block ads as well. So why is FF being targeted? I also use a hosts file and a very strict Proxomitron filter configuration to block ads.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.