Using a firewall for per-network outbound control?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by DarryDoo, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarryDoo

DarryDoo Registered Member

Greetings.

Apologies if this topic has been addressed, but I was unable to properly word a search to find good info. Apologies also if this isn't the forum for the question; I'm desperate.

I connect to the Internet using different connection types: Wifi, Cellular modem, Ethernet. I would like to control outbound application access based on the type of network connectivity.

For example, when connected via Cellular modem, I only want to permit my web browser to access the Internet -- no Windows Update, no other applications (eats up valuable monthly bandwidth). Experience tells me that a software firewall is the solution -- unless someone can suggest something else?

I'd hoped PC Tools Firewall Plus would work, since there are multiple profiles available -- unfortunately, there's no *application* control per profile -- which makes configuration too difficult, if not impossible; I don't want to play with trusted IP addresses per profile, for example, since IP addresses change and/or get added, and I want this fairly bulletproof.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Cheers
    Darren

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

From memory maybe Comodo FW, but not fully sure

3. nessy90

nessy90 Registered Member

Im know Online Armor Premium gives you the opyion to block a program from accessing the net.
    nessy

4. DarryDoo

DarryDoo Registered Member

Lots give you the option, in fact most software firewalls can prevent outbound traffic, but I want to easily control what gets out, based on either some Zone or Profile that I select, or by automagically detecting my network connection (or Interface) and applying different rules.

Thanks anyway.

5. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Attached Files:

6. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Maybe run Smoothwall in Virtualbox.
    During setup, open; half-closed; closed, choose "closed" to block all outbound connections, which you can then allow only what you want to connect outbound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.