Users Still Not Willing to Abandon Windows XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hogndog, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Interesting.

The thematic of "devil beings" tormenting "evil people" or "evil souls" is a recurrent one in myths, movies, culture in general.

Although less common and popular than the conflict of antonyms, such as good vs bad, etc.

But the answer is no, I just copied this name, I saw it in a game, I think.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Your numbers actually mean the infection rate should be even less. You failed.
    So, since you can't do even basic math, I am going to ignore you from now on.
    I only talk to people with IQ in the four digit range.

And this data was meant for Brian.
    You are not Brian.
    Let adults discuss things.

Mrk

3. Wild Hunter

Did you even read the reports? What are the exact infection rates announced in the latest report?

Infantile.

IQ in the four digit range? LOL, now I've read everything...

You posted in public. Try in private next time.

Adult? You? Really?

After posting:

"you failed" ;
    and
    "I only talk to people with IQ in the four digit range." .

Are you still considering yourself an adult? LOL

4. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

seems at random you picked an interesting one, as the wild hunt is part of scandanavian myth, of which part of later christian myth was based upon and relates directly to santa claus, riding along with his reindeer - look closely, and you may see the resemblance..

When the winter winds blow and the Yule fires are lit, it is best to stay indoors, safely shut away from the dark paths and the wild heaths. Those who wander out by themselves during the Yule-nights may hear a sudden rustling through the tops of the trees - a rustling that might be the wind, though the rest of the wood is still.

But then the barking of dogs fills the air, and the host of wild souls sweeps down, fire flashing from the eyes of the black hounds and the hooves of the black horses..

407284_2632805115606_150006696_n.jpg

and of course now back to your regularly scheduled programming :D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  5. Wild Hunter

It was a nice pause after all. lol

6. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

7. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

8. new2security

new2security Registered Member

Interesting. So it means Microsoft silently changed their intent on what Extended Support means for Vista and W7. So Extended Support normally includes only enterprise customers and they're making an exception (as they did with XP). So should Microsoft have stuck with their policy, they would have ceased their delivery of security patches for non-enterprise W7 users 2015 when mainstream support ended.

How would they know by the way which customers are home users and which ones are enterprise customers?

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think enterprise customers typically have volume licenses, so they can tell by that.

10. Pirates also may have VLKs, though, so I would assume they have some other method...

11. new2security

But there are plenty of small businesses running less than 5 clients.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, true on both counts....

13. Wild Hunter

Another reason for making an "exception" for Windows (as they do).

14. guest

guest Guest

Well I just brought a new computer about three days ago, a little netbook,
    my old one took a crap "power supply" had win 7 starter edition on it, along
    with all kinds of other crap so I wiped the drive installed Windows xp "modded"
    and the netbook said Oh no this is not win 7, about thirty minutes on my main
    computer locating drivers "no support except for Win 7 from Gateway"
    I had new drivers went to work and installed them now the little guy
    is as happy as can be and has forgotten all about the anchor around it's neck
    that bogged it down and I asked if it was worried about the updates to xp
    ending and it replied, with the narrowed attack surface I now support I do
    not worry about being hacked but if in a rare instance then there is always
    my clean image and with just a few keystrokes on my back I will be as good as new

Thank you for my new lease in life
    signed The little computer:D

15. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

That's a blanket statement there, to an ideal that you can't paint with a brush so broad.

If we're talking an old version of some crappy AV (i.e. Mcafee/Nortons) that came with the PC you bought, whose sigs ran out a year ago... then yeah.

But if we're talking LooknStop FW, or Kerio, or Comodo 5... not so much.

I have a feeling Sandboxie 3.76 will still be a very strong app a number of years from now.

Ditto Shadow Defender 1.1.0.325

One could keep an XP Pro box perfectly secure for years with "old" 3'rd party apps such as these and the right hardening measures to reduce attack surface. Especially with no black hats around even targeting the OS anymore... one could even make the argument it could be more secure than the "newest toy".

16. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Is there any particular reason why you chose XP over 7?

17. Wild Hunter

I can answer this one, as I think I already discussed this with him: he thinks XP performs better (faster, snappier, can be tweaked for more speed, etc - according to him).

I would say that he simply isn't measuring things adequately (especially if the hardware is relatively new).

But it's a lost cause, lol.

18. Sully

Sully Registered Member

There are many factors involved, making a comparison complicated.

However, there is one thing that is noticeable every time - hdd reads and writes. XP is faster. Win7 is slower - quite a bit slower. Win7 can be tweaked to make it almost as fast, but XP beats it. Measurement is simple. Boot machine, open sys32 and scroll. The times between XP and win7 have always been very different, especially in default states.

Another factor that can be reproduced most of the time is network throughput. But its primarily hdd activities that to me are what can be "felt".

I tested win7 32 and 64 against XP 32. Same hardware. Its no placebo that much is for sure. But I will concede that with so many variations possible, there is no cut and dry emperical answer to which is faster. I think that if someone has used XP for years and then install win7 on the same machine, thier "feeling" that win7 is slower is probably accurate. It would make sense that the things you've been doing every day would only seem slower if they were. Or, they might seem faster. If you are testing things you only rarely do, how can you really tell the difference? I do a LOT of file browsing both on the hdd and local shares, so it was something that stood out like the old sore thumb.

I resisted win7 for quite some time because XP is faster for me, by quite a bit. Only after hours and hours of research and testing did I find ways to make win7 decent enough. If win7 didn't have a lot of features that I use a lot, I wouldn't be on it now, but on XP, because for me the speed difference matters.

Sul.

19. Win7 is a bigger OS and probably has more stuff in System32, thus the longer load time, no?

I suspect 7 performs better under heavy loads on powerful, current generation computers. OTOH, XP is visibly faster on weak computers, in my experience; probably just as a matter of having less code running in the background. More code is more context switches, more cache misses, and more disk reads.

Disk reads in particular seem to be killer for netbooks. SSDs probably change that, but a lot of people don't have them and aren't willing to shell out.

20. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I installed an SSD in my 2006 high end, for its time, gaming machine a few years ago but I never noticed any speed improvement - unfortunately :( Most likely because the machine has other bottle necks that negate the speed improvements of the SSD.

21. new2security

My experience indicates that W7's prefetch system works much better than XP's dito. For example, over time, opening Firefox in XP takes very long and to make it worse, long after the program has loaded, the HD thrashes for ~10 seconds. XP = ~ 3 years old, carefully selected software, no real-time AV, SRP, LUA etc. Prefetch is enabled. My overall impression is that a clean XP is probably faster than W7 but in the long run W7 is faster.

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would guess that a clean XP is probably a bit faster than a clean 7, just because it's smaller and there is probably less overall bloat. I think you would find that a clean Win2k is probably much quicker than a clean XP too. But I have always found 7 to be pretty quick. And in time, any OS will slow down after a lot of things have been installed, uninstalled, updated, tweaked and all that happens when you use an OS for years...

23. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I think the amount of RAM is a factor too. One of the first things I did with my netbook was get a 2GB module to replace the included 1GB. I prefer Windows 7, but I'd probably stick with XP if I was limited to 1GB of RAM and couldn't upgrade for some reason.

24. guest

guest Guest

"But it's a lost cause"

You are right, I will change my OS when I decide to do so not when someone else wants me to :D

But at the pushing of the group of friends that have worked with me on producing the version of XP that we use for our customer base we are also working on a version of win7 "distasteful to me" we have actually got it down where it will fit on a single cd but it is a work in progress, whether I use it or not is yet to be determined, I don't like references to removed components anywhere in the OS, these will have to be weeded out before I even think it will be useable and I also just don't like the interface of the system, but to each his own:D

25. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Yes you're right, the amount of RAM makes a big difference in speed. 1GB of RAM for Vista is not enough, and if you have a lot of programs installed then at least 3GB is best. 1GB is probably enough for XP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.