Users of old ZA versions

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by snowbound, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Yes I tried today zalarm455940(name of the exe from oldversion dot com),and right after installation after prompted for reboot i've got BSOD ,and after restart Bsod again.So i think version 4 does have problems with SP 3 at least on our PC's.

I don't see this screen on version 5.MAybe I'll post in their forums after all in the future regarding this.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I found the User Manual for version 5.5 (many more on that page) and on page 3 of the manual, it says:
    So, although the screen does not look like the tutorial, there's a screen on v5.5 that will give you that option.

3. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi all,

Just a reminder: Those are old versions of ZA and, if a vulnerability if discovered on one of those versions it will not be patched by the vendor since those versions are no longer supported.

Regards,

Carlos

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

thats the main reason i prefer to use developed/new versions of software no matter how good an older version may be.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Zyrtec & firzen771,

IMO, I believe that many users of old ZA versions today know that there was nothing wrong with the basic firewall that Zone Labs introduced to the market and that reliability was the main reason why Check Point Software Acquired Zone Labs in 2004. Having paid a good amount of money, Check Point could not leave things alone and in 2006 (around the time CEO & co-founder Gregor Freund left the company), CP started tinkering the product in earnest, adding everything but the kitchen sink to the firewall, in order to increase the sales price. The fixes and so called improvements from version 6 upwards have been done as a result of the baggage that was added to the firewall, not necessarily to the firewall itself.

Yes, I am well aware that these old versions are no longer supported, yet it's very interesting that CP still has them available for download on their site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.