User and Pass incorrect for scheduled backup to mapped drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pitu, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pitu

pitu Registered Member

I have TrueImage Server 9.1 running on Windows Server 2000 Advanced with service pack 4.

I have mapped a persistent network drive to a remote computer. I have full privileges for this mapped resource and can write to it.

When I create an backup task and instruct Acronis to save the image to this resource, Acronis fails and says "username or password for remote resource is incorrect". No combination of username or password will make the task run successfully. Error code is: 1,015(0x103F7)

What's wrong?

Both the server and remote PC are on a domain. The username / password has admin rights on the server and the PC.

In the task setup, I am using a string like this: domain\username in the run task as field.

Ben

2. msteele

msteele Registered Member

Ben, I'm having the exact same issue. I back up to a mapped drive - It will work if I just run the backup without scheduling it - But once I schedule it, and enter my domain\user (admin) info it craps out with that 0x103F7 error. This is on a NT 4.0 server, so I don't believe it's OS dependant.

Has a solution been found anyone?

3. notta

notta Registered Member

I'm having the exact same problem. I made a post about it the other day, but didn't receive any replies.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=157756

I spent half the day again today trying to find a workaround, but with no success. If I can get this working we're looking at getting 300-900 licenses, so I hope that will motivate someone to address this issue.

Are you on a Active Directory Domain Ben?

4. pitu

pitu Registered Member

Yes, we are on an Active Directory domain. This problem is frustrating, considering that I purchased the software before I encountered this problem.

I have been looking at Veritas backup software as well, but Acronis is very easy to use, which is advantageous.

We should in this forum document everything we've tried. If you've spent half a day on it and I've spent half a day on it, we've probably covered all the bases.

Ben

5. eclipse2k

eclipse2k Registered Member

lot of people have the same problem, so am i. strange that developers still didn't give an answer. i want to back up to san storage, not to local drives of the comps being backed up. acronis says in their manual that every device is supported, but back up to network share through backup server just doesn't seem to work because of some kind of authorization problem they have. if somebody at last could work this out please share your experience

6. Deunan

Deunan Registered Member

I am having the same problem.

I have a single user license that I am testing out on a computer on our business network. If I start up a back up of my C: partition from computer A to drive F: on computer B it works perfectly everytime.

But if I schedule a back up of C: on computer A to drive F: on computer B it gives me the "username and password authorization failed" error every time no matter how the scheduled task is set up.

I have checked and redone my username and passwords multiple times with no success. Reboots and reseting the network does not help. Even changing the network and setting it up again does not help.

However, I did try one more test. I also installed Acronis on to computer B to see if computer B ran into the same problem. Computer B ran the scheduled task to computer A with no problem at all though as far as I can discover both computers are setup the same.

Anyone have other suggestions? I know that I don't want to buy licenses for our computers if it will work correctly on some machines and not on others.

7. notta

notta Registered Member

I have been working on this for days now. It seems if the backupserver is on a domain I cannot connect to the drive, but if I take the machine off the domain I can connect.

Little test:

machine A ---- console

machine B ---- backup server

machine C ---- machine being backed up

If I put A,B, and C in a workgroup it works fine. If I put A and B on the domain I cannot authenicate with domain admin account or local admin account.

Just did this test, I have A on the domain, and B off the domain with both machines logged in with local admin accounts. If I connect to B trying to image the C machine I cannot connect while putting in B local admin credentials, but if I check the do not input credentials than it works fine.

I have a headache!

8. pitu

pitu Registered Member

I think it's some problem with the way Acronis works with computers in a mixed domain. If I run these tests on my Windows 2003 server, I have no trouble. It's only when try to do scheduled backups to remote locations from the Windows 2000 server. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Acronis say "tough luck - upgrade."

Ben

9. eclipse2k

i'm trying to run this in my w2k domain. neither a sheduled nor manual backup doesn't work if i'm specifying backup server as the destination of the job, where defaul location is network share or mapped network drive. if i'm specifying destination directly to network share it works fine, but i'm loosing functionality of backup server this way. would be nice if guys from acronis explain this somehow.

10. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

There was a post some time ago, that discovered their weird problems were due to the network card being set to half duplex instead of full - the change apparently made all their error messages on the network go away and TI stopped sulking.

Colin

11. eclipse2k

i saw the post about half duplex. not that. i have no errors in server logs and nics are in full duplex

12. Deunan

Deunan Registered Member

It doesn't seem to be limited to domains. Our network is just a workgroup.

The 2 nic's are running full duplex, and are exactly the same with same settings and drivers, so that does not seem to be the cause.

Did install on a XP computer since the 2K wasnt running properly. Acronis does the scheduled task with no errors.

13. kronhead

kronhead Registered Member

I don't think my info applies to the domain users, but it may to the workgroup - I was trying to set up a scheduled backup, and it asked me for the userid and password to run under. It would not accept my ID and password - and I noticed it was truncating the password asterisks at 8 - my password was longer than that. So I created a new userid, with an 8-character password - and I was able to specify that userid and password for the scheduled task to use. And they are working fine. This is on XP Pro. Hope that helps someone.

Dan

14. msteele

o_O Still having this problem... I'm going to try setting up another admin account with 8 or less characters in the password (^ thanks for the idea)... I'll cross my fingers, this situation really sucks.

15. dooza

dooza Registered Member

I have a win2003 domain.My acronis Backup Server is installed on a domain member machine.And I installed Management Console on the same machine.When I connect to another domain member machine to backup files to the Backup server from console.And I inputed domain admin account who was already in AcronisBackupServerUsers user group.I got the same error "incrrect username or password".

How can I resolve it?

16. pitu

pitu Registered Member

Has everyone been checking their error logs?

99 percent of the time, when my w2003 server runs a scheduled backup to a mapped drive (mapped to the hard drive of domain pc), it fails. Occasionally, the task completes - like maybe 1 in 20 or 30 tries. Hmmm...

17. llopez

llopez Registered Member

I believe it is an issue between Win2000 Server/Win2003 Server/XPSP2 and Acronis. I am using a P4 workstation as a file/backup server with XP SP2. I shared the drives so acronis can can write to these drives. I have 4 servers which are Win200 and 1 SBS 2003. The SBS server can run a scheduled backup fine. All other Win2000 servers fail but can create an image manually. I read another thread where to use the full unc name...\\servername\sharename. This does not work as well. So, I am thinking the authentication that Acronis uses has some fault. I even chose the option not to enter a UN/Pass and it still fails. Until the issue is resolved, which I doubt, looks like manuals backups will be needed until I move to another solution. :mad: :thumbd:

18. BACITech

BACITech Registered Member

Has anyone had any success with this issue?

Personally, I'm using this from a v9 boot CD. I never had this issue with v7.

I have made the suggested changes (http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATISWin/faq/password-error/) to the domain controllers with no success.

I have tried all of the following permutations:

domain\username
    domain/username
    \domain\username
    /domain/username
    \\domain\username
    //domain/username
    domain\servername\username
    \domain\servername\username
    /domain/servername/username
    \\domain\servername\username
    //domain/servername/username

_NOTHING_ works.

:mad:

Do we have a ray of hope at the end of the tunnel or should I be switching back to Ghost?...

- Lance
    BACI Systems Admin

19. msteele

Still no luck. A poster above mentioned issues with shared drives on a XPSP2 box... That's my situation as well.

Looks like a lot of you guys have this issue, so bump for this thread.

I'll be setting up a W2K3 box soon, and will be able try a few new scenarios. Will post back -

20. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Corporate Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

This is an answer to those who encountered incorrect username/password issue when backing up without using Acronis Backup Server.

Please try entering a full network path and waiting a bit until username and password are asked.

The explanation to the fact that sometimes Acronis True Image doesn't work with mapped drives can be found at this FAQ entry

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  21. Acronis Support

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Corporate Remote Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

This is an answer to those who encountered incorrect username/password issue when backing up using Acronis Backup Server.

Please be aware that you need to enter correct username and password for a User account or Administrator account of Acronis Backup Server. You can find detailed instructions on how to set up User Profiles in the chapter 3.5.3 "Administrator profiles and User profiles" of the respective User's Guide.
    Please also note that the password should not be blank.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

22. mengland

mengland Registered Member

I have been encountering this problem as well. The server that I am having the problem with is mapped to a network drive and it sees the network drive fine. The authentication for the account is the administrator account for the domain. Even when I try to back-up manually it is still giving me the User name or password for the remote resource "mapped drive" is incorrect. Please check user name and password and type it again. I have another server that is mapped to another external hard-drive and it works fine. This server has the latest True Image 9.1 build. Please help!

23. Acronis Support

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.