UseNet Services and Privacy/Anonymity

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Securit, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Securit

Securit Registered Member

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience using UseNet Group Services. Do they provide real privacy and anonymity?

For example, GigaNews has the following package:

Diamond, which costs $29.99 per month (the subscriber gets $14.49 off for the first month of service). This is also their top package, offering 50 connections, unlimited monthly transfer, 256-bit SSL, 1287 days of the retention, VyprVPN Personal VPN, Mimo Usenet Browser + Search and Giganews Accelerator.

Are there any UseNet Group Services that you would recommend? Is a basic low-fee service O.K.?

Thanks for your help!

P.S. - Long-time reader, but never registered to comment until now. I'm working on making my internet browsing experience as secure and private as possible.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I've always heard good things about Astraweb. (I think it's 11 dollars for unlimited download)

Usenet (can) encrypt all of your downloads (and uploads) so no one between you and the server can see it. You can also work with a seedbox/ server, which you can rent for something like 2/month and it will act as a proxy.

I don't know much about it though.

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Right here Usenet Junkie! WoOT! :D

These guys are the best and cheapest!

I know because I use them...

http://www.supernews.com/

4. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I've been using NewsGuy for a few years and have no complaints.

5. Securit

Securit Registered Member

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations!

6. box750

box750 Registered Member

I use Altopia, their retention is not the highest in the market but they are one of the cheapest for binaries, $6/month, 2 connections, no bandwidth limit, enough for casual use.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  7. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

If this is it;

https://www.altopia.com/retention/retention.html

That's pretty sad... :(

8. addi6584

addi6584 Registered Member

haha might be showing my age here but usenet used to be free with your isp and before html, usenet was "the internet" lol

ssl didn't exist but then again no one knew how to sniff anything back then

if we could transfer data @ 2kpbs on a 14.4kbps modem that was fast as hell

basically we would dial a bbs at the university that had "world wide web" access via lynx which is a browser i still use today ha!

used these guys too
    telnet to bbs.execpc.com and have fun ;) thats pretty much how the "internet" used to look back then. netscape navigator didnt exist yet

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  9. box750

box750 Registered Member

Yes that is the binaries retention graph, I check Usenet once a week so it is ok for me since multipart binaries with +20 files last around two weeks.

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

That's terrible... :(

I've yet to find anyone that offers the quality and retention of SuperNews for the price, that's why I highly recommend them...

11. poison

poison Registered Member

http://www.xsusenet.com/ offer free usenet, encrypted and 400+ days retention. Max speed is 1Mbit.

https://www.newsdemon.com/ offer cheap non-expiring block plans if your a lite user. They have encryption and 1284+ days retention. I'm on 30Mb and max out my connection with them. Of course they offer monthly plans too or you could check out what's already been posted if you want a monthly subscription.

12. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

For xsusenet free access it looks like you need to be from either, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany or the UK...

13. marktor

marktor Registered Member

14. marktor

marktor Registered Member

You can get it to work but it is soooooooooooo slow not even worth it.

15. poison

poison Registered Member

Yeah if you sign up with a VPN or proxy from either of those countries I suppose it will work but I agree 1Mbit down isn't great if you have a fast connection although it's okay for a free usenet provider if you live out in the sticks and only get a 1-2 meg down speed from your internet connection anyway.

Also it maybe worth having in case your primary server has any incomplete blocks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.