use TCP for VPN traffic

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lurningcerv, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lurningcerv

lurningcerv Registered Member

How do I set my VPN software to use TCP rather than UDP? I'm using Viscosity as a client. Is it possible that I cannot use TCP with any given VPN server, because, for example, the server is not set up to use TCP?

The reason I want to do this is to make the connections more reliable. My understanding is that TCP could result in fewer dropped connections? Is my understanding correct? or would the TCP not make any appreciable difference?

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I don't know Viscosity, but there should be somewhere to specify protocol (UDP vs TCP) and port number.

What's possible depends on how the server is set up. Your best bet is checking the service's website, or asking support. The defaults are port 1194 for UDP, and port 443 for TCP, for whatever that's worth.

UDP is the default. But it can't hurt to try both. OpenVPN pings in UDP mode to sense connection status.

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I am UDP using many servers and I virtually never drop a connection. You may have a unique application/need that requires TCP but most things work well with UDP.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Right.

TCP is mostly used where there are restrictive firewalls. TCP port 443 is HTTPS, so it's almost always allowed.

5. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I like TCP a lot and it has many uses. I always use TCP on mullvad for example because I get 20mbps speed with a most reliable connection.

6. lurningcerv

lurningcerv Registered Member

Thanks for all the responses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.