Use of firewall with stand-alone AV

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by century, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. century

century Registered Member

Is it safe to run Avira Premium / Eset v3 / Kaspersky 7 antivirus suites with just Windows firewall? Or should I install something like Comodo / Online Armor free firewall along with it?

2. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I just use the Windows firewall plus my router along with an AV. Haven't had any problems or need for a more involved firewall.

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

It really depends for Example XP has only Inbound protection only.The only problem with inbound only is you have No control or know what is being sent out,So if persay you have a Infected machine it Can connect out to open the door for the worst to come with out your knowledge.Thats where a 2 way firewall is better a least you have a chance to Deny outbound communication. I would choose only one AV of your choice,and a firewall of choice or the option Of AV suite with firewall Included.

4. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

If your machine is infected, the invader will likely find a way to send out. One of the biggest security myths is the value and efficacy of so-called outbound firewall protection.

5. jdenton

jdenton Registered Member

Depends on what you mean by "antivirus suite". Are you using only the antivirus, or the whole suite that usually includes a firewall?

I really recommend an outbound firewall, but don't like Online Armor and Comodo. I think their reputation has been built more by leaktests rather than any practical value, since they just generate too many popups to be useful in real life. For a free third-party firewall, I think PC Tools, ZoneAlarm and Kerio are good choices.

6. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Too often we use a bazooka when all we need is a bb-gun. I would start simple (i.e., your AV and Windows firewall) and see how it goes. If issues do crop up, then add a different firewall/hips.

The odds are you'll be just fine with Windows firewall (and you'll experience fewer compatibility/stability issues and your system and browsing will be faster).

7. Dark Shadow

I agree,at the same time I only use vista firewall control with that control, I have a heads up that something as simple as my media player Is making outbound connection, while I am just simply playing a music CD.

8. Bunkhouse Buck

I just use Windows XP and have had no problems in years.

9. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

it is safe if:
    1) you are guaranteed that you or your childrens never launch new programs downloaded from internet or CD disks or flash
    2) you don't use online banking
    3) you don't have any confidential information on your computer you would not want to be stolen by somebody.
    4) you have unlimited traffic (for a case malware tries to use your computer to distribute the spam).

10. Bunkhouse Buck

Your premise is that outbound firewalls will necessarily stop so-called "leaks" from any of the above- they won't.

11. century

century Registered Member

I have read all the opinions posted here & thanks to all for taking the trouble. It seems I can ( or at least hope to ) get away with XP firewall only. I am starting with my 3 month free subscription of Antivir Premium & Super Antispyware free.

12. Dark Shadow

Both products are very good and should be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.