Use Backup to correct Windows XP bootup problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sfatland, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sfatland

sfatland Registered Member

My computer is having problems booting up. In safe mode, the boot up seems to stop while loading system32 drivers. I have Acronis True Image 9, but I am not sure about the version. My question is, will using Restore correct Window driver file problems or will it restore the same driver files that are creating the boot up problem. I am able to boot up using the Acronis boot up disk and the program seems to work fine. Is purchasing a new hard drive and using Acronis to image the new hard drive a better option? Thanks!!

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If you Restore from a Backup that was made when your system was working properly, then the restored system will be okay. The big question is, have you done a successful restore before or is this the very first time you're trying it?

3. sfatland

I have a backup that is over a year old on DVDs and an external hard drive. Yesterday I did an incremental? backup while using the Acronis boot up disk onto the external hard drive. I have not tried recovering before.

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Boot from the TI Rescue CD and run the validation option on the external drive. This is a first step in seeing if the backup is any good.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Well, it would be nice if you had a more recent full backup to restore or an incremental set with recent incrementals to pick from.

When you restore the old full backup, your system will be back at that time with no recent updates or data or new programs installed. That can take time to correct, but doing updates is fairly easy and reinstalling new programs should take too long.

The problem is that you may have data that you don't want to lose. The solution to that is to make a full backup of your system now. It will contain all your current data. Restore the old backup, update it and do any new program installs. Then mount the backup you made just before doing the restore and copy the data files over to your hard drive.

Personally, with external hard drives quite cheap and big, I only make full backups. If you do make incrementals, don't make many before creating a new full backup. If you lose one incremental, you can't restore anything after that point.

6. sfatland

Thanks for the advice! Was wondering about a different solution. I want to install a new hard drive. Can a Backup be installed onto a new hard drive or is it better to copy the old hard drive to the new hard drive? If the new hard drive will not boot up, then reinstall Windows XP (I have a OEM copy and do not have the repair option available). That way I have the old disk to copy any needed files get damaged.

7. BillyPig

BillyPig Registered Member

As advised above, first validate the backup before you try to recover anything. Hopefully, it will be OK, then you can remove your old drive and install the new one (or better still leave it in place, but REMOVE THE CABLES if you have room for more than one drive). Now you can experiment. Try to restore the backup to the new HD and see if that improves matters. If not, you still have your old unsullied drive, so no harm done. I haven't mentioned drive jumpers etc, assuming that you know about master/slave status; if not, ask.

Oops, nearly forgot. Make a TI recovery CD (and try it out) before you remove the old drive, as you will need this to install from the backup after removing the old drive.

Pete K

8. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You can install a backup on a new hard drive. See Restoring to a Replacement Drive. You can also Clone which makes an exact copy of the old drive onto the new one.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sfatland,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that as it was stated above by other Forum members, using Acronis True Image you can restore you system back to the moment of the image archive creation.

Note that using Acronis True Image you are able to migrate/copy the entire content of one disk drive (at a current state) to another drive, making it bootable if the original disk was bootable. This can be done using Clone Disk tool of Acronis True Image. You can find the detailed instructions on how to perform this in chapter 12. "Transferring the system to a new disk" in the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide.

Also, as thomasjk said you can restore the image archive to a new drive. Check chapter 6.3 "Restoring disks/partitions or files from images"

Actually, Clone Disk approach is usually used to upgrade the hard drive (e.g. install a larger disk), while Backup approach is basically dedicated for the complete data backup and disaster recovery purposes.

Please also be aware that the latest build of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is 3854. You can find the build number in the Help -> About dialog. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Please note that you should create a new Acronis True Imafge Rescue CD using the latest build.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

10. sfatland

Thanks to everybody for your help! I was able to image my new hard drive with a back up over a year old. Then I used my old hard drive to restore the missing data. However, still needed to install several programs. Lesson learned, keep current on your backups. Again, thanks for your help.

11. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Thanks for letting us know about your success. We all like to know that our advice has been useful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.