Use Acer D2D OEM recovery partition for alternate means

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by domonbayle, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domonbayle

domonbayle Registered Member

Ive been thinking of ways to have an "alternate boot mode" thats fairly hidden for a pc, and something came to mind.

When i boot my notebook (acer aspire one) theres an unadvertised ALT-F10 option that triggers the OEM restore process. There is a partition on the HD called PQ service, which contains all of the data needed to do this.

What im wondering, is could i possibly use this ALT-F10 functionality to launch something else, other than the recovery partition. Perhaps a second OS which i load onto that partition, or some recovery software of my own choosing.

Anyone played with this? or have opinions on the matter

Im trying to figure out the process by which it boots. Apparently it looks to a special "acer" branded mbr, which then points to the specially formatted LQSERVICE partition, and launches autoexec.bat (and theres a bunch of busines about hiding and unhiding the partition in here. These are rough guesses, but if it really is that simple, it would seem i could use alt-f10 to launch something of my choosing with a modifed autoexec.bat

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  2. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

I believe that if you install windows in a ordinary way to this partition it will become visible, and you will need to use tools like acronis disc director suite to hide it again.

3. domonbayle

domonbayle Registered Member

Yep, thats correct. I experimented a bunch last night, made sure i still had the acer MBR, that the partition type was 12, everything but couldnt quite get windows booting. I, going to keep trying today, i cut down the stock PQservice partition to what appears to be the bare minimum to still "boot" the D2D recovery. Ill upload an image of that in a moment

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.