USD15.00 discount on BOClean until 25 Aug 2006

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Chubb, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I'm tempted to buy this but am wondering if I really need it. I'm generally practice safe hex and when I need to take chances I'll run sandboxie and/or altiris software virtualization.

Current setup:

Real-time: NAT router, Look 'n' Stop, Avira AntiVir, hostsman w/ mvps, spywareblaster (although actually not real-time), SSM (paid)

On-demand: SAS, Bitdefender, Ewido, a-squared, trend-micro AV/AS, etc.

So, what do you think, should I spend the money?

Also, is Boclean easy to terminate when I need to (i.e., when I run some online games, I disable as much as possible (btw - never had any problems doing so))?

TIA for the advice

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

No, i wouldn't think you need it with your setup and with your safehex routine to be honest

3. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I still think that $15 off is a very good deal for BOClean, considering it's history, reputation and reported effectiveness. While I plan to use ewido for an on-demand anti-malware scanner once it's trial is up in a few days, for resident AT & malware type protection, at this price I believe I'm gonna have to give this one a try.....

4. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

AFAIK, files are not periodically scanned by BOClean. Memory is scanned every ten seconds. So, yes it is polling, and proud of it. Regarding CPU resources it seems inadequate to specify the density and height of spikes withouth telling exactly how long they are. So It would be more correct to compare the CPU time measured over a longer, say 10 minutes period, for all contenders measured with the same monitor tool. I am planning to buy BoClean so I can try to measure that one soon.

5. JRCATES

RE: how BOClean operates.....I asked, and according to Nancy, BOClean polls (to check for changes in inactive memory) and will go into operation when active memory state changes (like when something executes). Regarding the CPU spikes, her response was basically that since it's software, and software needs CPU cycles sometimes to run, occasionally there will be "spikes". Apparently, this isn't a problem for most BOClean users, though. She also mentioned that neither BOClean nor these "spikes" interfere in any significant way with other software, and noted email they've received from online gamers that like BOClean "because it doesn't interfere or slow down play, yet gives them protection from malware" - fully knowing that gaming is a major infection vector. She also believes that BOClean's approach gives a user the best chance to catch many zeroday exploits (which she said are typically repacked malware that can elude typical AV detection vectors).

Anyway, I found her response pretty interesting and informative, and just thought I'd share (hope you don't mind, Nancy).....

6. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

JRCates,
    Over the years I have found BOClean to be a good unintrusive security product, with superior customer service. I don't do on line games and appreciate your post. They post updates more then any other security product I have ever used. ;)

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I am using Boclean for 2 years now, the updates are more then ever before ... their special way of counting malware + the updates the last 6 months ... it is reassuring for mei...) .. still it is/remains the product we all know ...

However, I believe it is in need of some type of heuristics and a little more pro-active security & an on access scanner (sleeping trojans, ....) atm it is the best product money cam buy > at 15 $ less then normal > probably they are already working on the first beta/alpha .. at least that is the experience I have when giving us this opportunity :) ...

like another poster noted , as version upgrade fees are the only fees .. hopefully this is covered when this new version gets released. but then again, once released. not a lot of fixes where needed to fix the rest :) for a proper build ... 4.20 > 4.21 (stable...)

best wishes.

8. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Picked it up last night before the discount ended. I am running this upfront with KAV and changed UnHackMe to a ondemand scanner. Couple of questions. Is there a key that BOClean sends. It is up and running after I went through the payment and download (I also bought the 2-year download). Just wondering if there is a registration process with NSClean.

ProcX only shows boc421.exe running resident. Task Manager does show bocore.exe also running. I assume both are running even though ProcX only shows one.

9. JRCATES

Hey G111,

The title of this thread probably should have read THROUGH Aug 25....because it actually ends at midnight TONIGHT (Friday night - 12:00 AM Saturday morning)....so it's still currently in effect. For those interested in taking advantage of it, I just wanted to let them know (this is per info I received from Nancy when I inquired about it as well).

I'm interested in knowing this as well.....because during purchase, I received the email notification from Digital River and printed a copy of my receipt, and then installed....but don't remember any "key" or prompt to register, etc.

WinPatrol and Task Manager show BOC421.EXE and BOCore.exe both running as active processes for me here.....

10. john2g

john2g Registered Member

No, there isn't. However, it is useful to sign up for the email update notifications.

11. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thanks for the responses. I signed up for the E-Mail notifications.

12. JRCATES

I believe this was an option during the purchase or installation of BOClean, and not something to be done AFTERWARD, right?

I'm fairly certain that I selected that option, but how would one go about finding out for sure that they are registered for email notifications?

13. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I believe it was one of the boxes I checked when I purchased it. Received a confirmation message from digitalriver, but nothing from PSC thus far. I didn't see anything on their website.

14. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

The boxes are checked by default. Did you uncheck them by mistake?

I receive daily notifications of newly added detections and signatures since I purchased it...

If you want to receive e-mail notifications, you can take a look here:

http://www.nsclean.com/supboc.html (4th paragraph)

When you click on the e-mail link on the web page described above, "REGISTER BOCLEAN" will be automatically inserted for you in the subject line. After you have sent in the mail, Kevin McAleavey will send you an e-mail to confirm whether you also want to be in the list of daily notification update to the BOClean database. ;)

Attached Files:

15. JRCATES

Hi Chubb,

Thanks for the input. Yep, I'm positive I left the "informed via email" box ticked (but did not select the second option), unless it somehow got "unticked" without my kowledge (doubtful). Since I just purchased last night, maybe it takes 24-48 hours to be added to the database for email alerts, info and notifications. I'll just wait until the first part of next week, and if I haven't received any notifications for the latest update info (if there are any over the weekend), then I'll use the link you provided to ensure that I do in the future.

Thanks again :thumb:

16. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Other than trojans, how effective is BoClean against other types of malware?

17. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

I measured with Iasrn Taskinfo. The long time average CPU usage on my system is 0,4%.

18. muf

muf Registered Member

Not only is it first class at handling trojans but it also takes care of most Rootkits and is very good at snuffing out Spyware. Especially the difficult stuff. But please remember that it's primary role is to sit 'behind' your AV. It lets your AV sniff any files first, then if your AV lets the file go and it executes to memory if it unpacks some malware then BOClean will 'nail it'. That's it's job, 2nd line of defence in case your AV fails you.

muf

19. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Just noticed a more permanent price reduction for BOClean in the news section here:

"26Aug2006 New affordable pricing! We've lowered our prices in order to make our software more affordable."

Nick

Attached Files:

20. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

The price of BOClean is now in line with Ewido, with A-Squared still selling at USD39.95.

21. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

In my experience, A-squared has always offered a substantial discount.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Boclean is like toilet paper, something you just cant live without. It is ready, even in an emergency.:rolleyes: Best money I ever spent.

23. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Lol :D , I'm sure NSclean will appreciate the comparison :D .

About the price comparison with Ewido, I consider BOClean is more cheap, since the licence do not need yearly-renewal (though upgrades can lead to renewal fee), and allow installation on several computers :thumb: . Excellent program. And extremely light when running.

nicM

24. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

LOL :D It has kept me safe for years and for pennies a month.

T.P. costs far more. :D :D

25. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

BoClean is instantly a bargain when it nails the first bad guy that blows by your av.

Speaking from experience. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.