USB recovery media not working

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by jdsnov73, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdsnov73

jdsnov73 Registered Member

I am having an issue with the USB recovery media. It will boot to the Boot Manager screen. I select Normal Mode, it acts like it is loading, gets to near full bar across the bottom of the screen, and then the screen goes blank and does nothing.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I am using Paragon Backup & Recovery 2010 Compact Edition.

Thanks for any help you could provide.

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Did you try selecting Safe Mode, instead of Normal Mode - if so, was it successful?

3. jdsnov73

I tried that too, and I get the following across the top of the screen:

Recovery Media Error!

4. jdsnov73

I have the HP Envy that does not have a built-in DVD drive. I do have the external, but for some reason, I can not get it to boot from the CD. I tried the trial version of Acronis and Macrium, creating boot discs for both and neither will boot. I can get it to boot to the USB stick, but for some reason the Paragon recovery is somehow corrupt.

The only 2 programs I have found that make a USB thumb drive recovery disc are Acronis and Paragon. The Paragon giveaway is very nice, but not if I can't get it to work.

5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

There is an excellent 9 series giveaway - fully compatible with the 10 series backup images.

Luckily it is still available, sadly , the installer is 32 bit.

If you are able to install that on a 32 bit pc - you can get the .iso from that and use the BR10 rmb.exe to burn it to usb - it should work well on your 64 bit system . 32 and 64 recovery environment are the same - only the windows installer is different.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  6. jdsnov73

Thanks for the help.

So Paragon Hard Disk Manager 9.5 Special Edition is a similar product as Paragon Backup & Recovery 2010 Compact Edition?

I have a laptop with 32-bit Windows XP loaded on it. So, just download and install Paragon Hard Disk Manager 9.5 Special Edition on that machine, create a USB recovery and I should be able to use the Paragon Backup & Recovery 2010 Compact Edition?

7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, the HDM 9.5 recovery works greatwith the 10 series images.

After you install HDM 9.5 - you can find the .iso in a folder called ISO , you can use the rmb.exe from the 10 series to get that on the flash drive.

In BR 10 Compact - start the rmb - select Flash , Next. Then Dot "User specified cd/dvd image ( .iso file )", click Browse - browse to the HDM 9.5SE .iso ( it is also named bootcd.iso - you will need to copy it across from the XP machine ) and create the flash drive exactly you did before.

This time it should be fine.

Please let us know how you get on.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  8. jdsnov73

No go. I get the same black screen in normal mode, and the same Recovery Media Error when trying safe mode.

9. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.