USB Keyboard & Mouse Not Working

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by autophil2, Oct 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. autophil2

autophil2 Guest

I have a Dell Optiplex SX-280 with a USB mouse and a USB keyboard. I am using True Image version 8.0 build 937.

When I load the Startup Recovery Manager neither the keyboard or the mouse will work. I have to reboot to get out of it.

I have read all of the posts about changing the BIOS settings regarding Legacy USB, but there are no such settings in the BIOS. The only settings that relate to USB are to either activate or deactivate the USB controller, or to activate or deactivate the front USB ports.

This computer does not have a floppy drive, so I am unable to capture anything to send to anyone. It also does not have PS/2 ports for a normal mouse or keyboard.

Any ideas?

2. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

3. autophil2

autophil2 Guest

Actually, I do have A06.

4. Anon

Anon Guest

I am having the same issue with a Optiplex GX 620 desktop PC. There are no USB Legacy options in the BIOS, no PS/2 ports on the PC, and I do have the latest BIOS revision from Dell's website. If anyone has any suggestions/ideas on how to get around this issue that would be a big help.

*Note: I am using 3 USB devices atm:

USB Keyboard
    USB Mouse
    USB Hard Drive

The mouse DOES work randomly, while the keyboard and hard drive have not worked at all yet. All devices DO work under Windows XP Pro. I noticed the lights on the keyboard are all lit up and on until somepoint after the loading screen comes up for acronis. Then they all turn off and the keyboard stops responding. When the mouse does work it functions normally from the time I turn on the PC until I get into Acronis. However, when the mouse isn't recognized by Acronis the light on the bottom for contrast never changes intensity or brightness. It just stays the same until you restart.

Aside from contact Dell and/or Acronis at this point I am stuck. Any thoughts?

5. Cornholio

Cornholio Registered Member

Hi,
    seem to have the same problem. I've looked up the forum, but found no solution.
    My scenario: DELL Precision 380, BIOS A02 05/24/05, and TI 8 Build 937. USB keyboard and mouse do not work in TI when USB devices plugged to rear connectors. When plugged to front connectors, mouse is working, but NOT the keyboard.
    Tried acpi=off noapic, no success.
    Any other idea?
    Best regards,
    Cornholio

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello autophil2 and Anon,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please do the following?

- Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information;
    - Choose the 'Save' option in the 'File' menu (or 'Action' menu under Windows 2000), enter the 'File name' and set the field 'Save as type' to 'System Information File (*.NFO)';

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach the result file along with the exact model of your mouse (keyboard/hard drive) and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

7. cmrocha

cmrocha Guest

I´m having the same problem with my Precision 380, the MB and KB were already replaced but the problem remains. Did anyone find a solution ?

8. Hans-b

Hans-b Registered Member

I had the same problem with an Optiplex GX280 and BIOS A06. After downgrading to BIOS A04 Acronis works fine.
    After rebooting the keyboard also do not work in windows.

9. nuschu

nuschu Registered Member

I'm having the same issue with new GX620. I haven't had any problems with any of the GX280s I've used... Tried 3 USB keyboards, 1 PS2 Keyboard plugged into a USB to PS2 converter. The keyboard definitely works in the BIOS, just not in Acronis.

Going to try updating Acronis and making a new rescue disk and updating the BIOS on the 620...

10. nuschu

nuschu Registered Member

Ok, the BIOS was current, but I tried Acronis 9.0 (2323) and it worked fine after that. I could not get the keyboard or mouse working with Acronis 8.0 boot media. I finally got the mouse working after I plugged a regular USB keyboard (no built in hub) in the USB port closest to the network connection and then a usb mouse right next to it. This allowed me to use the mouse, but not the keyboard. Plugging them in any other ports didn't work at all.

11. Peeperstfi

Peeperstfi Registered Member

We are having the same issue with a Optiplex GX 280 & 620 desktop PC. There are no USB Legacy options in the BIOS.
    No PS/2 ports on the PC, and I do have the latest BIOS revision from Dell's website.

The mouse DOES work randomly, while the keyboard have not worked at all yet. All devices DO work under Windows XP Pro. in the USB port closest to the network connection and then a usb mouse right next to it. This allowed me to use the mouse some times, but not the keyboard. Plugging them in any other ports didn't work at all.

Workaround:

This workaround work for us ATI v8 Build 889:

- Boot the computer from Acronis True Image v8 Build 889 bootable rescue disc (Full version)
    - Hit F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears
    - After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, add "nousb2" parameter
    (without quotes) to the end of the Linux kernel command line (so it will be "quiet nousb2")
    - Click OK button

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.