USB External Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by marse.robert, Dec 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marse.robert

marse.robert Registered Member

Hi

Earlier, I was following a similar thread but it did not quite answer my query. I can create an image to my external drive, but when I go for the restore option and reboot TI does not see any partition of the external drive.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this not an option for an external drive?

Regards

marse.robert

2. foghorn

foghorn Registered Member

It should be visible - However I did not think my external USB drive was being picked up by the boot CD because it was previously drive H: (or something) and appeared under windows at the bottom of the list of drives.

Under the boot disk it appears as a removable drive and is shown second down in the list as drive B:! I didn't even notice it and assumed that the boot disk had failed to detect it, but it was there all the time.

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

I have an external Maxtor OneTouch USB-2 (80 GB) connected to my W98SE PC (connected through a Sitecom USB2/Firewire-card).
    I use that Maxtor HDD for full image-backups by TrueImage.
    I don't use the SecureZone of TI; I only make full backup-images.
    Usually I don't have it connected to my PC; I only connect it when I make a backup or restore a backup.
    When it is connected, it is called drive K.
    My drives are:
    A : floppy
    C : my first internal harddisk
    D, E, F, G : partitions of my second internal harddisk
    H, I : CD-ROM player and CD-ROM writer
    J : internal ZIP-drive
    K : external Maxtor USB-2 drive (when it is connected)

Now I have made life a little bit easier:
    I have given that external Maxtor USB-2 drive a label; I have called it M-1-80.
    By doing that I can easily recognize it when I am in TrueImage.
    I plan doing the same thing for my internal partitions (C, D, E, F, G); I should have done that long ago :oops:

When I use TrueImage, I boot from its bootable floppies.
    I have no problem with making or restoring a backup-image to/from that external USB drive.

I use TrueImage-8-786
    (Note: my last backup-image was made with TI-8-774; I haven't yet made a backup with TI-8-786).

Here comes a screenshot what TI is showing me.
    I had to make the screenshot from within Windows because I don't have a digital camera so I could not make a screenshot from what the bootable floppies are showing.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2004
  4. Ed Y

Ed Y Registered Member

Good idea. Thanks for reminding me. I had forgot about doing that. I also had the problem about recognizing the external HD when using the TI boot disk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.