USB drivers in DOS mode

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by lofishman, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lofishman

lofishman Registered Member

Hi,

If I run True Image using a bootable CD-rom, will the USB drivers work with every external USB hard drive?

Thanks,

M

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "DOS mode" in the subject line. The TrueImage rescue CD uses Linux, not DOS.

It should work with any external USB drive. But to say that it will work with every drive would be foolish, as there will always be exceptions, no matter what you're dealing with. e.g., Does every zebra have stripes? Does your universal remote work with every TV? You get the idea...

3. lofishman

Very interesting, so the rescue CD runs in Linux.... That brings up more questions...

Do the rescue floppy disks work in Linux mode as well?

I want to recommend a robust, portable external hard drive, so maybe looking at something more standard like an Iomega product would have a bigger probability of working in "linux mode" than something made by SmartDisk, or Edge (the DiskGo! product).

Thanks,

M

4. wdormann

CD or Floppy, the end result is the same: Linux.

As long as the external storage uses a standard "USB Mass Storage" driver, then it should be fine. If not, it may or may not work.

5. lofishman

Ok, but the driver is a Linux USB Mass Storage Driver. Am I correct to conclude that non-linux compatible drives may not work?

6. wdormann

If a devices uses the standard "USB Mass Storage" interface, then it should work fine. Windows or Linux. If a device is explicitly "non-linux compatible", that would most likely be because it does not use the standard USB Mass Storage interface.

7. rharris270

rharris270 Guest

I have three external hard drives, one USB 2.0, one firewire, and one combo usb/firewire. Trueimage 7 and 8 work with all of them. The brands are Martox, Buslink, and Lacie. I suspect that most major brand external disks will work fine, but of course, you will need to try a specific one to be sure.

P.S. -- Unless Acronis support says that TrueImage supports firewire 800, I would suggest that you avoid that for the moment. That might be too new.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.