USB drive used at school and home - protection from malware

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by pepperer, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pepperer

pepperer Registered Member

Hi,
    I have a USB drive that I use to take files (homework, etc.) back and forth between my home computer and computers at school. What do I need to do to make sure I don't bring home viruses, rootkits, etc.?
    Thanks.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

pepperer,
    If your home computer's USB drive letter is constant, say G for example, you could disable autorun on that drive to prevent anything from running when inserting the drive. Your AV should scan the drive as soon as you plug it in with autorun enabled, but the above disabling step would give you time to run scans prior to using the drive.

Another suggestion is to install ClamWin Portable on the USB drive and run a scan of only the files that were used at school, prior to unplugging the drive from their PCs. Single file scans wouldn't take too much time.

Hopefully, other Wilders members will soon post their ideas as well.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

You can try drivesentry goanywhere. You install it on the usb drive and when you insert it in a computer drivesentry loads up and allows you to control what gets written to the drive.

4. axial

axial Registered Member

The following seems to be one possible solution:

http://blog.didierstevens.com/programs/usbvirusscan/

5. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

6. pepperer

pepperer Registered Member

Thanks guys.
    So if I make sure 1) that my computer doesn't run an autorun.inf on my flash drive when I plug it in, and
    2) I scan the contents of the drive before clicking on anything,

how safe is my computer from viruses if one got onto my flash drive at school?

7. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

Sorry for the ambiguity, but I think the answer is...it depends. If you take the above steps and you plug in an infected flash drive that has a virus signature that is already identified by your AV, then it should alert you and presumably protect you. But if it's a zero-day infection (i.e., not yet identified by your AV), then you've got problems.

To deal with the zero-day potential, you could add a third step by running the flash drive in a sandbox (Sandboxie) or other virtual environment.

8. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I don't think you're really gonna get new threats, at most some Brontoks or Online Game trojans. Just disable autorun, your av should automatically scan the drive(if not you should configure it to scan all removal drives), and even if it doesn't it will alert you if you try to access an infected files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.