Usb Drive Security Help

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by RootAccess, Jul 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RootAccess

RootAccess Registered Member

Looking to disinfect any possible viruses or malware on old usb drives. I don't think they are autoplay but I want to disable that.

After disinfecting, I want to lock the usb drive so that not everyone can write to the drive unless I give specific permission.

2. x942

x942 Guest

For the first part: Grab a linux live CD (any will do - Parted magic is small and has ClamAV bundled) boot from that and then plug in the drive. Scan if desired/wipe if not.

I would recommend wiping the entire drive to be safe - but I am also paranoid about malware so there that too.

The second part - You could do this by burning the flash drive as a CDFS partition. I believe there are tools that can do this. A user can still format though. I don't know any hardware mechanism to prevent writing.

3. RootAccess

RootAccess Registered Member

I have parted magic, how do you completely wipe the drive...what utility do you use?

4. x942

x942 Guest

On parted I use shred.

WARNING: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT DEVICE!!!

1. Open parted and select your flash drive - it should be something like /dev/sdX where 'X' is a letter. Verify this is correct by the size of the drive and be sure it's not your computer's hard drive.

2. Open terminal and type the following replacing 'X' with the letter from step 1:

Code:
    sudo shred -n1 -v -x /dev/sdX
    Or if you are slightly less paranoid just use parted to delete the partition of the USB drive and create a New FAT32/NTFS partition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.