USB disk as recovery media?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by ziimen, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ziimen

ziimen Registered Member

B&R 10 will allow CDs and USB flash drives as recovery media but not USB disks. Can't figure out a reason as to why not. Especially with the usefulness of having the recovery program along with the backup on the same drive.

Worth asking if anyone actually knows of a way to do that? This question had been sort of already asked before (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=265858), just in case it wasn't clear. :)

For now I use a usb flash drive to boot and usb disk drive to restore... one too many. I have one disk setup working with clonezilla but I like paragon more though.

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

ziimen

You can use Recovery Media as backup destination, BUT there are some limitations:
    1) USB-stick should be recognized by Windows as 'Removable Device'
    2) It should be large enough to keep backups.
    3) You should create separate Folder on Removable drive to keep backups .

3. ziimen

ziimen Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I was actually talking about usb disks I mean usb hard drives. These are usually not recognized by bios as removable media (windows only detects what bios serves it with). At least not by the boards I tried it on. Did you manage to actually have a usb hard drive be recognized as removable media?

As for the size, it's a given... two partitions on it at least... one to boot one to store.

4. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

1) No, I have never seen large drives which are recognized as removable.
    You can try to google it :)
    2) Recovery Media doesn't allow to create second partition. To create specific folder is the only way

5. ziimen

ziimen Registered Member

Partitions can be easily resized and created after the fact, that's no issue, even if paragon had to create a recovery disk using the entire hard drive. Which it doesn't of course (e.g. clonezilla).

Well, partclone works well for backup... great compression options. But since it's free it probably won't ever get to the gui level of paragon. Oh wait, paragon was also free when I got it :) lol, that was the "theinquirer" store thing. Oh well, can't have them all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.