US wants privacy in new cyber security system

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

US wants privacy in new cyber security system.

-- Tom

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2009
  2. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

The irony here, of course, is that the govt. desires privacy, yet it sucks and pilfers through every bit of data it can on its own citizens! :ouch:

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It isn't about privacy, it's about making sure script kiddies, real hackers out for cash, citizens with a bone to pick and foreign governments stay the hell out of our defense systems and other areas where information is stored that we don't really prefer others to have...in other words, it's MEANT to keep us safe. You can bet your rear end there's going to be problems...no one has forgotten the NSA and AT&T activities in the past. But let's make sure we understand what this is really about and not start jumping into the "1984" argument.

Of course, yes, it can easily be turned on us, but so can a lot of things. Your ISP has more direct access to your private communications than the government does if you want the real truth, yet so far I'm not hearing a lot of protest about them. Guys, sorry to say, but these nice little boxes with moving parts that beep and whir while you surf Wilders and play games, well, they're weapons now, and very effective ones at that.

We're going to have to understand that security and privacy aren't always going to be able to be balanced. We can argue about the Constitution, Bill of Rights and their foreign equivelents until we're blue in our faces, but, well, they didn't have the problems our world is facing back then. We need to watch out for our rights, no doubt, but, we're also going to have to learn to give and take, and that seems to be a mighty bitter pill to swallow for some.

5. Airflow

Airflow Registered Member

Same opinion!

Unreliable ISP employees could be a problem but not the ISP itself.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  6. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

I gave up on my ISP and now use a XeroBank VPN connection to get to the Net. Let them try to read the encrypted stream...

7. Airflow

Airflow Registered Member

Think so, vpn is good. Some peace of mind for the daily fight.

8. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I use Xerobank too, and I am truly grateful for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.