US Security Agency tracks IPhone users

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by kareldjag, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

BlueToad admits Apple UDIDs were rifled from its servers – not an FBI laptop.

2. siljaline

Many Android and other mobile phones that employ third party apps can have the device IMEI datamined by third party ad networks such as AdMob. An ad network detector like Lookout's Ad Detector, helps in the detection of these and allows a user to at least scan for third party bits that spy on you without your consent.

3. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

What do you mean by "at least scan for"? Does it only inform you of the apps that pass information to ad networks or does it also allow you to block the communications? It seems to me that you'd want to lock down your mobile platform in a way similar if not better than the way you lock down your browser. Which is to say, tightly control who each app can communicate with and block all apps from communicating with known ad networks. Is that possible or are the mobile platforms and apps more difficult to control?

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Oh well, one of the drawbacks of technology . . . privacy. o_O

5. siljaline

Correct. It does not lock down the phone like a Browser. Apps permissions are a completely different venue of mobile security. See the link I posted to see what the app does.
    Users of Lookout have this as well.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  6. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I did take a quick look at it but wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. Having just found https://www.mylookout.com/resources/reports/mobile-ad-guidelines the picture seems a bit clearer to me. Publish guidelines then warn about apps that don't follow those guidelines?

I don't know what app platforms actually provide in terms of fine grained control over app permissions, but they *should* provide quite a bit of control including the ability to selectively disable/block communications with remote sites like ad network servers. For all apps and/or specific ones. If that is possible, I'd say that is the way to go. Try to block those paths over which your device identifiers might leak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.