Urgent - How to prevent user to duplicate HDD

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Avico, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avico

Avico Registered Member

Hi All,

This is my first msg here - I have serious problem and I'd really appreciate your help.

I'm working as Computer Technician and I installing graphic based computers and HTPC ,
    I have customer that need HTPC (based on Meidportal) and as I understand he is going to duplicate the HDD using ghost (or any other "back up" softwares).
    As I understand he order excat the same hardware for 10 computers but he order for me just one computer.

I want to advice you how can I blocked this option ?
    meaning even if he use ghost and create an image it will not work on other computer.
    he is not that sofiticated and I bet theres something can be done here.
    I'd really appreciate your help cause I feel he is cheating me and this really annoying- lot of people that I instal for them computers for graphic have done the same and it's really frustrated me.

I thought about instaling some hiding software or even somescript that check the CPU ID or the HDD seriral number but couldn't find.

Thanks in advance

2. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

My initial thought is the amount of time it takes to get media portal running smoothly.
    I've been tweaking it for over a year now and I still have all kinds of little problems.
    Right when you think you have things worked out, you're hit with another problem. Great software, but a real pain to keep it running smoothly.

If I were you, I would give him his moneys worth. i.e. give him a basic install/setup, and when he images it to ten different computers, then let him discover all the small annoyances that come with the software/setup. Then he will have to keep fixing the issues on the base computer, then re-imaging the ten computers..until it finally operates smoothly.

Probably not the best answer for you, but all I can think of at the moment. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.