UPS problem

Discussion in 'hardware' started by arun687, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Did they install any UPS management software and connect an interconnecting cable between the UPS and computer? If so, you can monitor the charge and reserve power from there, test the cut-over, and setup auto-shutdown of Windows.

2. arun687

arun687 Registered Member

yep..there is a monitoring software from HP..which collects data from a USB cable connected to the UPS....it works fine...it shuts down the PC and stuff when the battery is low...there seems to be no problem in that...

3. Bill_Bright

Sounds good. I would mark the UPS or something with the date as UPS batteries need replacing about every 3 years.

4. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

This is a very good idea, I wish I had a better idea as to when I bought my various UPS devices so I would be able to do this. I wonder if calling the mfg and providing them with a serial number would enable me to get the info. I will have to give it a try on Monday.

5. Bill_Bright

The manufacturer may be able to tell when the UPS was made, but probably not the batteries - or how long they were sitting on the shelf. Some battery makers stamp the date on the batteries, but since these batteries can (and should be) be recycled, that is not always accurate.

6. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I will try pulling the plug and see how long the power remains on, that will give me some idea of whats what. Again, thanks for the idea, its a good one.

7. Bill_Bright

YW - and good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.