Upgrading Windows 7 OEM to Windows Professional OEM

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chattycathy, Feb 22, 2016.

1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Are WU failing or just taking forever?

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Sometimes failing, other times taking forever. I tried many scripts, fixes, a new versions of WU itself, with no avail.

I'll try AutoPatcher today, for what I can see it's better than WU these days.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Sometimes if not restoring a current image or installing from a slipstreamed iso it DOES take forever up to 3hrs.

4. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

This is W7 SP1. I have tried and waited 5,6,7, and more hours. Some of the times it showed the updates I needed and supposedly started download. It stayed at 0% for hours and never did anything. Other times, it wouldn't go any farther than checking for updates.

5. chattycathy

Where is this Autopatcher at? The way I see it, I have nothing to lose by trying.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Ok thanks for the info. Grasping here, how's your internet speed? Is there a possibility somebody authorized or not is using the bandwidth while you're on WU? Like Netflix, torrents etc.

7. chattycathy

My internet speed is fine. This is my notebook I'm having problems with. My desktop, which I'm using now, works just fine. It doesn't take long at all to check for updates on it and I have Windows 7 SP1 on both. I'm the only one here to use my internet so that isn't the problem either. Thanks for the suggestions though.

8. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

My connection is set up so I'm prioritized when it comes to bandwidth.

That depends. Is you Windows 32 or 64 bit?

9. chattycathy

64 bit.

10. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Sorry for the delay.

http://www.autopatcher.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=1e22ad740fde80fe3169a0e03c7350a8

11. chattycathy

No problem! Thanks for the link. Did you try it and if so, how did it do for you?

12. chattycathy

I turned my notebook on today and the "configuring Windows" screen popped up. I thought, why, because it always hung at "checking updates except for 1 time and then it showed at 0% on downloads and never changed. When it loaded, I checked the update history and 2 updates were installed yesterday, and they were 3035583 and 3031432. Of course it was the "Get Windows 10" updates. They had to sneak these in because I had them disabled. I will try other means the next time.

13. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Unfortunately I haven't tried it. I tried Windows 10 and was convinced to move to it :p
    Sorry, but I couldn't take Windows 7 not working anymore. I have to get back to work tomorrow, and I work with my computer.

But if there's anything that I can help, please let me know.

14. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

@chattycathy I'm back on 7.

I installed the "System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7" to see if that would help getting the updates a bit faster, but again it didn't help.

Looking at C:/Windows/Windows Update I see these kind of errors:

Code:
    DtaStor   WARNING: Attempted to add URL http://download.windowsupdate.com/xxx for file  when file xxx has not been previously added to the datastore
    I guess I'll have to wait hours again for an update. Microsoft, this is ridiculous! :mad:

15. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

16. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Sorry, Windows just got off my list. Updates are supposed to work, if they don't then the OS is useless for me. I would use Windows 10, but EMET is not working as it should, neither a game that require admin permissions.

But thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

17. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Are you sure its not your router causing the Windows Update problems? I was having major issues at one point, where Windows Update would always fail when checking for updates. I fixed this by changing some settings in the router configuration page. I forget exactly what I changed, as it was several years ago.

18. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Yes. I tested with 2 routers, and without a router. I also tested 2 ISP's.

And I'm not the only one getting this, so I'm positive that this is on Microsoft's end.

19. chattycathy

I haven't had any luck with it either except it finally said I had 69 updates. I selected what to install and then it went to supposedly downloading but it stayed at 0% for hours and never did download. Another time, I selected just about 2 or 3 and it never downloaded any of them. Maybe it's just me, but it's looks mighty suspicious to me.

20. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

It's not suspicious at all if you consider that MS could be doing this so users upgrade to Windows 10 :)

21. chattycathy

It sounds like you're thinking like I am. If that's what they're up to, it's not going to work with me. I'll either go to another operating system or turn off updates. I won't upgrade to Windows 10 especially with them trying to shove it down my throat. I don't like to be pushed into anything. I have an email account with Outlook.com and as soon as I start logging off, I get the Windows 10 popup wanting me to upgrade for "free". They're going to far in my book!

22. roger_m

But they're not. I never have any trouble instaling updates on a clean install of Windows 7, apart from the long time it takes to initially check for updates. You may want to try using a slipstreamed ISO of Windows 7 which has all the updates releaed prior to the ISO being created included.

23. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

@chattycathy I think these are your options:

• Wait for Windows 7 to update;
    • Install Windows 10;
    • Don't update Windows 7;
    • Go to Mac or Linux;
    Windows 10 isn't that bad, really. It's snappy, looks great, and the privacy can be tweaked. However, I can understand why you wouldn't want to upgrade.

Exactly. No OS should take 2 to 12 hours to update, that's ridiculous.

I find this really hard to believe. Before Windows 10's launch, my Windows 7 DVD from 2010 "only" took 20 minutes to find +200 updates. The updates got screwed at that time when Windows 10 was about to launch. I can't think of anything else besides these factors being connected.

But wouldn't that take hours to download the updates? then 30 minutes to modify the ISO, then 30 minutes to erase my DVD-RW, then another 30 min to burn the image.

24. roger_m

No, if you look online you can find Windows ISOs which have already been slipstreamed.

25. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I know, but I don't trust other people in this case :thumb: If I were to do it, I'd have to take my official Windows 7 Home Premium ISO, remove the ei.cfg file, then slipstream it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.