Upgrading to a new build - help needed

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ReverseGear, Jan 24, 2016.

1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Out of that list I'd recommend Kingston Hyper X. Concerning GPU's some are unnecessary overkill, and bottleneck, as you stated. Not to mention they run hot. I recently put together a Precision Mobile Workstation and my first thought was to just buy the most expensive/ (figured) best GPU. Then I did research and found out a lower level one (the Nvidia Quadro K2200M) was actually the newest of the line, and built on a new architecture that was built to be more energy efficient. In all regards other than RAM (i.e. shader cores, clock/memory speed) is compared to the mid-high level ones. And ran on DirectX 12 instead of 11.2 as the newer ones, a testament to it being newer. And ran at 65W while the higher end ones ran at 100W. And the one downside, 2 GB RAM, I could overcome with a shared memory tweak in which I could get 6 GB of RAM out of the thing. Giving me the best of both worlds... a GPU that could (spec wise) compare with the high end options while running cooler, quieter, and more energy efficient. So don't automatically but the most expensive one assuming it's the best option. My main concern as that the machine was durable and would last. Overkill often goes hand in hand with overheat & problems.

I also got a Corei5 because I knew it'd be (more even) than enough. It actually had some integrated features that even many i7's didn't have, like VT'd & TXT, which is important since I run a VM and light virtualization apps. A Corei5 with these features will out perform an i7 without them, I've tested it with benchmarks.

I concur with the 16 GB of RAM too, with 2 sticks (8GBx2). Many are oblivious to the fact that if you use 4 sticks and use 32 gigs of RAM your memory speed will actually go down... from 1866 MHz to 1600. To 1600 to 1333, etc... And I don't know about you but I've never seen my machine even come close to approaching 16 gigs of RAM let alone 32. I'd rather have the RAM I'm actually using running at the higher speed than to have 20 gigs of idle RAM, with the RAM addressed running at a lower speed.

I think you're making a wise choice personally. And if you decide to upgrade your GPU do your homework.

2. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

While you may technically have 6Gb accessible to your GPU, it is not going to be anywhere near the speed of the ram on the GPU.

I've never heard of this before. Can you give any more details? I did some googling and couldn't find anything about it either. Running more sticks is harder on your IMC so if you're overclocking your CPU and say you're stable at 4.5GHz with 2 sticks, 4 sticks might result in instability. But obviously fully populating all dimms is well within the spec of the CPU (at stock clocks) and assuming your 4 stick kit is the same speed as the 2 stick kit, it'll all run at the same speed.

3. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Thanks a lot everyone . The build is complete . The old psu didn't have long enough wires for the new case , so waiting for the new psu to arrive .Just have to install my gpu .

Couldnt upload images here so have uploaded to imgur

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.