Upgrading to a larger drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by seething, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seething

seething Registered Member

I wan't to upgrade my 80G sata to a 120G sata. Only one partion. My images are stored on an external. What would be the safest and easiest way to do this? Thanks.

2. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Hi,

Just do a full volume backup to image (.TIB) on the external drive, and make sure the new hard drive is recognized by the Acronis Rescue CD Media, then restore your backup and during process resize the partition to what you want...

Jaycee

3. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Hi seething

safest : use an image backup/restore
    easiest : do a clone

Despite the fact that this is exactly what the clone function is designed for, you would be mad not to make a backup of your old disk first anyway (just imagine if you cloned in the wrong direction :-0). Since you have an external drive, and I assume that you would have made an image anyway, I think a restore from your backup would be your best all round option.

F.

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

seething,

What's the version and build number of TI you have installed? See Help>About for that.
    How is your old drive partitioned?

You shall have to allocate the 40 GB difference in disk space and it depends on the above information how you are going to do it best.

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Follow up:

You should also tell us whether you want to use the additional space the new drive brings in to enlarge the existing partition(s) or to create a new partition without loosing any data.

Oh, I just noticed that: there is one partition now. Sorry.

6. seething

Wouldn't i have to install sata drivers for the new drive before i imaged it?
    Or couldn't i install the new drive, format it, then clone the entire contents of my old drive to the new one? BTW i'm using version 8 bld 826 and no i'm not upgrading this version works fine, there's no reason to.

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Your SATA drivers are already installed if your old drive is a SATA as well.

You could either image/restore or clone (I never cloned because I think the first option is safer). Either way, you do not need to preformat the drive. The restoration or cloning would overwrite the formatting data anyway.

If you clone, be aware that you have to disconnect the old disk prior to the first boot into Windows after cloning done. After the first successful boot from the new drive alone, when Windows has already recognized the new drive as the boot disk and you have verified that everything works, you may connect the old drive as the second internal HD.

Also, while setting up the cloning operation, do not take the option to erase the original drive - just in case. You will do that later, manually.

By cloning, you will be able to allocate the extra 40 GB within the same operation.

8. seething

Can you go into more detail on how to resize the new drive? I'll print your response so i don't screw it up during the process, thanks.

9. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

If you'll do it by restoring the image (as I would), it depends on the version and build number of TI you have installed. See Help>About for that.

Moreover, do you want to just resize the present C: partition to full capacity of the new drive or will you take the opportunity to create an additional partition (without loosing any existent data in C: ) ? What's your actual used space in C: ?

Do you have any hidden partitions (vendor's restore to computer delivery state)?

10. seething

I'll restore using an image, i want to resize to the full capacity of the new drive, only one partition.

11. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I'm afraid I didn't make it clear, but would you mind telling us the version and build number of True Image you have installed? You'll find it inside Help>About.

12. seething

My second post.

13. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Oh yes, I missed that one too. Sorry again.

With TI8, you have to do it in two passes. First, you would restore the whole disk image (the box next to Disk 1 ticked) to the new (blank) drive. The Master boot record will be restored too. Verify that the new disk boots and everything works.

The second pass is to allocate the unallocated space. To do that, you restore the same image again, this time as a partition restore (Disk 1 unticked, Partition C: ticked). That way you get the option (in one of the following steps of the wizard) to resize the partition. Drag the right border of the box reppresenting the partition to the end and carry on with the restoration.

An alternative to the above second pass is to create a Secure Zone in the unallocated space and delete it afterwords. Upon deletion, assign the space occupied by SZ to C:. Use the Manage Secure Zone wizard for both operations. This method is faster if your image is large, but I'm not sure if TI will allow you to create such a huge SZ as you need for this purpose.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  14. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Oh, dear! My third error in this thread! And it wasn't the new moon approaching, either. I just discovered that I kept mixing between two alike threads.

To rectify: you will have no trouble to create a 40 GB Secure Zone.

(The other user is upgrading to a 500 GB drive.)

I have to apologize again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.