Upgrading to 3.0.657 freezes windows 2000

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mavrj, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavrj

mavrj Registered Member

I've updated my 40+ computers form 3.0.621 to 3.0.657.
    I've a mixed set of computers running XP and 2000. Surprisingly all the windows 2000 computers start to run very slowly and eventually freeze (ekrn taking 50% CPU at the minimum!). Where were not noticed slowdown on XP computers. The virus signature span between 3125 to 3133 with no difference regarding this behavior. I had to stop real-time monitoring to fix this. Of course advanced heuristics and heuristics have been disabled but with no noticeable effect.

Please can you give me any clue how this problem can be solved so my company computer can be protected again.

Thanks

Mavrj

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does the problem occur with default settings as well? If so, does setting the real-time protection to scan files with default extensions make a difference? Could you send a log from ESET SysInspector to support[at]eset.com with this thread's url enclosed so that our customer care dep. can contact you on this matter?

3. mavrj

mavrj Registered Member

Strangely after upgrading to virus definition 3134 the problem seems to have disappeared. Haven't updated all the computers yet but it seems to solve the issue. However is still have send the sysinspector report to support for information.
    Anyway I'm a bit worried about the fact that virus signatures DB can crash the OS!

Keep you inform with further investigation.

Mavrj

4. mavrj

mavrj Registered Member

Too bad that virus definition didn't do the trick for too long.

I've performed more investigation on the problem.

It arises again with signature 3137.

I've performed some screen-shots:

Opening a single file (factures.xls, 15.0 Ko) show a CPU usage of 100% with a 15s pattern ezi-1017_NOD32_usage_small_file.png additionally you can see from the task manager that it is ekrn that takes the CPU usage ezi-1017_NOD32_usage.png .

Additionally I have a similar pattern and behavior when just opening windows explorer after a reboot ezi-1017_NOD32_explorer.png

Finally I've performed a small final test to see which thread was taking the CPU but unfortunately I've found that it was the main thread starting process ezi-1017_NOD32_processExplorer.png

Thanks for your feed back

Mavrj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.